o8 r6

longshanks r6
This post is 5615 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi There,

This is my first time doing this,so here goes my name is Karl i live in Rotherham,South Yorkshire.I've just taken delivery of my brand new 08'R6 and what a beauty she is,got it in red,black and white and in the near future having it painted up in the santander haga replica paint scheme.

I'm after getting an aftermarket exhuast fitted and was wondering if anyone out there had any advice on which one would be the best choice to go for regarding performance and sound.

Regards

Karl.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi There,

This is my first time doing this,so here goes my name is Karl i live in Rotherham,South Yorkshire.I've just taken delivery of my brand new 08'R6 and what a beauty she is,got it in red,black and white and in the near future having it painted up in the santander haga replica paint scheme.

I'm after getting an aftermarket exhuast fitted and was wondering if anyone out there had any advice on which one would be the best choice to go for regarding performance and sound.

Regards

Karl.

ok well it really depends on how much u wana spend and also are u looking for just a slip on or full system?

for good performance a full system and power commander with the right map will give u a great increase in power but for just a sound upgrade a slip on will achieve that but i would definatley recommend u do these things in this order first_

1. crash mushrooms all round to protect ur baby

2. tail tidy to remove that big ugly thing on the back

3. flush mount indicators

4. full system akcropovic, termogini, yoshimura exhaust as all of these are greatlooks nd performance

5. power commander pc3 with a custom map to the exhaust on a dyno and replace air filter with bmc one

6. do a few track days and enjoy her because if you do all these steps you will have a great performing machine.

hope this helped

ok well it really depends on how much u wana spend and also are u looking for just a slip on or full system?

for good performance a full system and power commander with the right map will give u a great increase in power but for just a sound upgrade a slip on will achieve that but i would definatley recommend u do these things in this order first_

1. crash mushrooms all round to protect ur baby

2. tail tidy to remove that big ugly thing on the back

3. flush mount indicators

4. full system akcropovic, termogini, yoshimura exhaust as all of these are greatlooks nd performance

5. power commander pc3 with a custom map to the exhaust on a dyno and replace air filter with bmc one

6. do a few track days and enjoy her because if you do all these steps you will have a great performing machine.

hope this helped

Anyone know if flush mounted indicators and the indicators in the rear integrated tail light indicators are road legal /MOT???????

Anyone know if flush mounted indicators and the indicators in the rear integrated tail light indicators are road legal /MOT???????

check the post (buying a 2008 r6) below. I found th eintegrated tail light and flush mount front ones of ebay. The fronare by motrax and the rear by project r. the rear ones wont pass MOT. but the'yre plug and play so you can just switch back to normal fairly easily to pass the mot.

Nice looking bike the R6 - with that on it shows the swing arm off. I am thinking of adding one to mine now but hardly get the chance to get out on the thing in this weather!

Not seen that colour with the grey - bad ass bike. is that the r&g tail tidy?

Nice looking bike the R6 - with that on it shows the swing arm off. I am thinking of adding one to mine now but hardly get the chance to get out on the thing in this weather!

Not seen that colour with the grey - bad ass bike. is that the r&g tail tidy?

that is the r+g tail tidy. the pillion pegs have gone now, really cleans up the back end.

You're not the only one with his bike in the garage waiting for it to stop raining.

• 3 weeks later...

i think the exhausts are a matter of personal taste, none of them will honestly gie you hp gains, unless you fit power commanders, and full system ect. so just which ever you think looks good,

a lot look the same, but the main ones for diff look are the micron gp, scorpion powercone, the laser extreme, twin gp thing. and then race fit make what i think is the nicest, it looks like it came from a fiat M1 gp bike. as for noise, again, if its a race (non street legal) it will scream like buggery, if its a street one, it wont sound too different from whats on........either way you lose the exup valve

Looks good - how does it sound?

The link reads that it is street legal also.

The Akrapovic megaphone is not 'technically' road legal. but it does not have any 'not for road use' markings... and they're really cheap.

They also have a DB killer to drop the noise level if you like.

If you want the road legal version, see this link:

R6 08 Road legal Akrapovic

It is more expensive, but you get that magic e-mark... It is also available in full carbon fibre (which looks mint).

i think the exhausts are a matter of personal taste, none of them will honestly gie you hp gains, unless you fit power commanders, and full system ect. so just which ever you think looks good,

a lot look the same, but the main ones for diff look are the micron gp, scorpion powercone, the laser extreme, twin gp thing. and then race fit make what i think is the nicest, it looks like it came from a fiat M1 gp bike. as for noise, again, if its a race (non street legal) it will scream like buggery, if its a street one, it wont sound too different from whats on........either way you lose the exup valve

1 - The slip-on muffler does give a power increase (Can't speak for Micron who have gone bust, Scorpion, Laser or Racefit), see the link:

R6 Technical Information - Akrapovic slip-on

2 - You won't get an e-marked (road legal) full system for the 08 R6. Due to the new Euro-3 emissions regulations, you must have a cat in the system... unless some-one has bodged on an e-marked muffler that fits.

...Not an issue if you are racing, but pointless for road use (in my opinion).

3 - Power commanders are not required for Akrapovic exhaust systems, they are all dyno-developed to run on standard fuelling (that's what you pay the extra money for)... Again, only really required for track use/further tuning. Otherwise, just a waste of £280 plus dyno time & filter.

Standard fuelling power: Dyno (system)

4 - Exup valves are a thing of the past... most modern sportsbikes now come with a noise valve. These are commonly mistaken a exup valves, but do not actually effect the fuelling/ECU. If the cables come loose, they flag an FI light on the dash - this is just to let you know that something has come loose.

The sole function of this valve is to half-close between 3500-5000 rpm in second gear to drop the decibel output. This is where all EU Spec. bikes are tested for noise before they are allowed to go on sale as a road legal bike.

1 - The slip-on muffler does give a power increase

yeah all the manufacturers say that, but thats only if the fuelling is right obviously.

4 - Exup valves are a thing of the past... most modern sportsbikes now come with a noise valve. These are commonly mistaken a exup valves, but do not actually effect the fuelling/ECU. If the cables come loose, they flag an FI light on the dash - this is just to let you know that something has come loose.

The sole function of this valve is to half-close between 3500-5000 rpm in second gear to drop the decibel output. This is where all EU Spec. bikes are tested for noise before they are allowed to go on sale as a road legal bike.

so does the R6 06-07 and 08 not have an exup valve? does it not have an effect on the midrange?

so does the R6 06-07 and 08 not have an exup valve? does it not have an effect on the midrange?

Not really - Maybe a fraction of a BHP, but if you fart, you'll get it back :D

It's the catalytic convertor that restricts the torque in mid range, but not too much power

the noise valve is purely for noise level purposes

Not really - Maybe a fraction of a BHP, but if you fart, you'll get it back :D

It's the catalytic convertor that restricts the torque in mid range, but not too much power

the noise valve is purely for noise level purposes

oh right... i lost 2 bhp on the dyno on my 56 R6R, done on the same dyno, i still have a race can on my 08 and the midrange isnt as slack too start with. so its not AS noticeable when riding.

what year is your R6?

• 2 weeks later...

Really if your going for a proper GP replica, then the only one to get with pride would be a Racefit Growler ;)

I have an Akra megaphone and its not as loud as you would think, ceratinly fine for the road and the Scorpion on my last 07 Blade was louder.

Guys just a quicky, All exhausts are street legal nowadays UNLESS it has 'not for road use' on. Thats not to say it may not pass an MOT but thats a different matter ;) The law is such a grey area when it comes town to noise so if it has no markings then you shouldnt get in trouble with it. Obviously with diffreent headers and a racefit its not gonna be a good idea giving it the beans in front of a traffic unit though ;) In the eyes of the law exhausts don't even need an 'e' mark to be road legal. MOT testers use their discretion.

The Akra is well within noise standards.

• 2 months later...

Hi There,

Regards

Karl.

sorry to sound like a tosser, but make sure you notify your insurance of this as the last thing you want is them refusing to pay out after it is nicked and recovered (lets hope not) with a non-standard paint job. It could add a fair whack to the insurance!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online