Second Bike

Phil_S12
This post is 5729 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ive picked me up another bike to run about on til i get my fz sorted, its only a zxr250 i collect it tomorro, its having a bit of starter bother, it wont start off the button cold apparently but will bump start, on the other hand itl fire up off the button when warm the fella says, anyone any ideas why before i go through to collect it, out i should look for??

Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have you considered to do a compression test?

because if the is low compression from the rings then that means they will need changing.

i say this because if it wont start off elcetric or kick.. but fine when bumped then i would get it checked out :)

Ive picked me up another bike to run about on til i get my fz sorted, its only a zxr250 i collect it tomorro, its having a bit of starter bother, it wont start off the button cold apparently but will bump start, on the other hand itl fire up off the button when warm the fella says, anyone any ideas why before i go through to collect it, out i should look for??

Phil

Could be worn bores or rings, When the bike has been stood a while the oil drains away down the bores and the piston rig sealing is then not as good, but when bike has started (from a bump), oil is then circulating and the seal is restored somewhat, compression test does sound a good idea.

I collected it today but havnt done much with it, im going to try tommorow starting from cold with a decent battery as this one thats on aint got much charge in it and il see what happens, if its no different il try a compression test

Phil

Had another crack at this today, i emptied the float bowls 3 were full of sh*t and 1 was bone dry, hooked up a decent battery and never started doesnt really seem to fire but had a small amount of backfire, il pull the plugs out tomorrow as i aint got a spanner small enough, in the meantime i slipped a random plug i found into the ht lead and crancked her over for a minute it had a couple of poor sparks and that was it

Shud of got another yam lol

Phil