1977 DT400 total rebuild

motox500
This post is 5712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Rebuilding a 77 DT400 here's what i have done so far, cases split total rebuild, installed carb rebuild kit, repaint all fenders [krylon fusion red] tank sprayed to original specs, seat reupholstered, boyesen reeds [boyesen recommends cutting the stock cage "windows" for better flow so i did, makes sense] went from 8 little windows to four and i would think this concept would apply to other DT engines , cylinder punched out and wiseco pro-lite piston installed, k&n air filter, cleaned out and cleaned up ports with dremel, must have been 2-3 grams of carbon that come out of that jug, bought a good used autolube pump off e-bay, along with several other items for the rebuild, i like the bike but it is definitely a lot of work especially the wiring for this bike, but i know it will be worth it, anybody know of any tips let me know, when it is finished i am just going to hit all the backroads here in tennessee and have a big time.

i was considering possibly slapping on a yz 465 jug but do not know if would be worth the trouble to do it,[ connecting rod, pipe fitment, etc. but man there would be some awesome power if it did work out. possibly a future project. anybody know if yamaha made a DT 500?

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Rebuilding a 77 DT400 here's what i have done so far, cases split total rebuild, installed carb rebuild kit, repaint all fenders [krylon fusion red] tank sprayed to original specs, seat reupholstered, boyesen reeds [boyesen recommends cutting the stock cage "windows" for better flow so i did, makes sense] went from 8 little windows to four and i would think this concept would apply to other DT engines , cylinder punched out and wiseco pro-lite piston installed, k&n air filter, cleaned out and cleaned up ports with dremel, must have been 2-3 grams of carbon that come out of that jug, bought a good used autolube pump off e-bay, along with several other items for the rebuild, i like the bike but it is definitely a lot of work especially the wiring for this bike, but i know it will be worth it, anybody know of any tips let me know, when it is finished i am just going to hit all the backroads here in tennessee and have a big time.

i was considering possibly slapping on a yz 465 jug but do not know if would be worth the trouble to do it,[ connecting rod, pipe fitment, etc. but man there would be some awesome power if it did work out. possibly a future project. anybody know if yamaha made a DT 500?

They made a XT 500 Enduro.

A jug is what beer comes in :rolleyes: fitting a YZ Barrel may make the bike not road friendly but if yr an off roader thats ok but bear in mind YZ barrel is a chrome plate type and cannot be bored (so you need one with no wear on). The wiring is no gr8 shakes just let me know how much is to be rewired & I'll give you the original colours the wires were but I guess that is going to be so hacked that wont help.. but I could give you a walk thro on what connects to what!

Regards Jim

• 4 weeks later...

might just pop in an IT 490, now that would scream!

Pics man pics! we wanna see this!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online