XVS 125 Gearbox problems

disneygirl
This post is 5712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there!

I have just bought a XVS 125 Dragstar and I am finding it difficult to get it into neutral. Other gears don't seem to be a problem.

Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem?

Any advice on how to remedy this would be appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks

:D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there!

I have just bought a XVS 125 Dragstar and I am finding it difficult to get it into neutral. Other gears don't seem to be a problem.

Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem?

Any advice on how to remedy this would be appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks

:D

hey disneygirl

what is the mileage? maybe it needs an oil change, yam gearboxws do not like old oil. if it hasnt been changed for a while get it done/do it yourself :D

hey disneygirl

what is the mileage? maybe it needs an oil change, yam gearboxws do not like old oil. if it hasnt been changed for a while get it done/do it yourself :D

Thanks pilninggas, will give that a try!

• 2 months later...

Thanks pilninggas, will give that a try!

..I experience the same issue, which can be frustrating. I find it harder to find neutral on the down-shift, but easier on the upshift from 1st gear. I'm also about to change the engine oil which may help. Rocking the bike back 7 forward whilst looking for the neutral gear can also help on occasion.

Mark.

I find it harder to find neutral on the down-shift, but easier on the upshift from 1st gear.

What he said, including the rocking bit!!

N from 2nd requires a gentle tap and is easier when rolling slowly to a stop. However, you ought to ideally have gone all the way down to 1st before stopping and then selecting N.

This is the real world, though and some of us occasionally are cool enough to have the sidestand down as we stop, thus dismounting and switching off the engine all in one utterly cool manoeuvre..... Others of us feck up and drop the bike at rallies!!!!

Seriously, though. Part of this is practice.

If the problem is excessive, check the clutch cable adjustments against the manual.

Check also that you have nice, new oil and that the sump is not overfilled - This is a common symptom that someone's been a numpty and put too much in.

Don't worry, I have the T-shirt myself!!!!