Oops - air filter screws.

RobSamson
This post is 5766 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just managed to drop one of the air filter screws on the right hand side of the air filter. It's disappeared into a gap and not come out the bottom of my R1, despite removing all the panelling.

PLEASE someone else tell me they've done this too! I've no idea where it's gone, would appreciate anyone suggestions as to how to find it / get it out.

Rob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A torch and a magnet (one of those telescopic aerial mounted jobbies).

Keep poking in and around the frame and on top of the gearbox etc. See if there are any open sections of frame rail it can have dropped down.

Strip more and more bodywork till you are sure it is not somewhere dodgy.

Persevere, it is there somehere.

Don't worry, you're far from the first..... I managed to get one in beside the front chain sprocket last week ;-)

However, being a Mini owner of many years, I'm well used to screws dropping in completely inaccessible places - so yes, a torch and a magnet reach thingy are a good place to start, but if you find it's in a place where the magnet tends to stick to metal beside it and not let you get it (typical of the grabbers that have a spring on the end), then one of the 'plunger' type that pushes out a little claw might come in handy too..... I picked one up at the market for a quid last year....... (last one rusted shut after a roof leak grrrr).

Failing that, just pick it up, turn it upside down and shake it......???? :rolleyes:

(",)

There's a couple of types of the magnet ones - one is a just a straight telescopic one, the other is telescopic with a little springy bit on the end..... I know it looks fancier, but I would seriously recommend against the one with the spring. Yes, you can keep it not quite fully extended so the spring is tucked away, but when you miss the screw and it holds onto something else, the magnet is usually strong enough to pull it back out as you pull it back...... and when it's out, the spring is weak enough so that just as your getting past an offending joint/strut/plate whatever, the magnet swings to the side and grabs that instead. Gets you annoyed pretty quick...... :-D

Good luck

(",)

Thanks for the advice. Just got a flexi cord magnet from halfords...think that pesky screw must have dropped out when riding as I spent an hour with the panels off checking everywhere and anywhere. Hoping I don't find out it was still there when my back tyre explodes on the M1....

Thanks for the advice. Just got a flexi cord magnet from halfords...think that pesky screw must have dropped out when riding as I spent an hour with the panels off checking everywhere and anywhere. Hoping I don't find out it was still there when my back tyre explodes on the M1....

Hi Rob

Did you manage to get the airfilter changed, did you find it easy to do?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes - the air filter change was very easy, no more than 5 mins and all the instructions made sense. I was a little worried about pulling out the fuel tank cables but didn't need to do this in the end as I just propped up the tank.

Rob

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online