clutch cable/return spring wear...

jrhendryx
This post is 5780 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello all, been a while since ive posted any issues about my bike, but im running into one now.

pulled in the clutch handle the other day and felt a pop. got it home and took a peek at the cable, and it had started to fray (about half of the strands had given out). So, I took it off, and when I pulled the clutch side cover off the engine, I noticed that the return spring that forces the clutch mechanism (not sure of exactly what its called, but its the part that the cable actually pulls on) to return to place seemed compressed by about 1/3 of its total length.

I had a new cable made for it at a local shop, and when i started installing it, noticed that before I hooked it up to the clutch lever, the spring was fully extended (but very very weak... I could easily compress it between finger and thumb). Once I hooked the clutch handle back up and ran the wire through to it, the spring was once again compressed to about 1/3 its total length......

does this mean that there is a load on the clutch at all times? it seems to me that if the spring is compressed, that it must be slightly engaging the clutch, because above the spring is the mount where the cable guide sits, and it is solid. the only moving part is the lower portion.

Any ideas how to remedy this? Should I get a stiffer spring? I noticed that at full extension, when I pulled on the cable (while detached from the lever) it would not extend fully. Would a stiffer spring fix this? I dont think that a longer cable is the answer necessarily, because I actually have a little extra play in the lever itself. any ideas where I might be able to find a stiffer spring? Perhaps adding a 3-4 cm spacer above the spring would achieve the same result of adding a stiffer spring?

Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm a bit confused what you are trying to say. do you have a picture or link to the part?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online