DT 125 stalling

This post is 5783 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

This is my first post. I have a DT 125 that was a road bike once upon a time but is now a track bike. It has had all lights, battery etc removed and wiring was a bodge. I have got it running but as soon as it goes into gear it electrically cuts out. Can anybody help. I'm not sure what year it is.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

This is my first post. I have a DT 125 that was a road bike once upon a time but is now a track bike. It has had all lights, battery etc removed and wiring was a bodge. I have got it running but as soon as it goes into gear it electrically cuts out. Can anybody help. I'm not sure what year it is.

Hi Chucky and welcome

is there a switch on the side stand?

Yes, I thought that only made it stall with the stand down when put into gear. It stalls when it is put into gear whereever the stand is. The stand switch is no longer wired in. Would this cause the problem?

The loom had been bodged since the battery and lights were removed and it was a non runner. I have got it running but still have this to fix. Has anyone got a wiring diagram. I'm not sure what year bike is but can post pics.

Yes, I thought that only made it stall with the stand down when put into gear. It stalls when it is put into gear whereever the stand is. The stand switch is no longer wired in. Would this cause the problem?

The loom had been bodged since the battery and lights were removed and it was a non runner. I have got it running but still have this to fix. Has anyone got a wiring diagram. I'm not sure what year bike is but can post pics.

Yes this is likely to be the problem, you need to locate the wires that plugged in to the side stand switch and make up another wire to short them together, or if its a proper bodge job and the ends have been cut strip off some insulation twist the wires together and put them into a terminal block.

Yes this is likely to be the problem, you need to locate the wires that plugged in to the side stand switch and make up another wire to short them together, or if its a proper bodge job and the ends have been cut strip off some insulation twist the wires together and put them into a terminal block.

Cheers, I tried this but no luck but will try again. There is a black and blue going 2 the stand. I think black is wired correctly but where does the blue go? What voltage should this carry?

Cheers, I tried this but no luck but will try again. There is a black and blue going 2 the stand. I think black is wired correctly but where does the blue go? What voltage should this carry?

Also there looks to be a sensor on the front of the engine with no wire to it. Any idea what this is? Looks like it takes a sigle wire.

theres only two wires isnt there?, shorting them should do the trick, cant answer specific questions as dont have that bike or a manual. but symptoms are classic side stand switch problems

Also there looks to be a sensor on the front of the engine with no wire to it. Any idea what this is? Looks like it takes a sigle wire.

There must also be a wire that goes to a switch that makes when put in gear, maybe this is it

There must also be a wire that goes to a switch that makes when put in gear, maybe this is it

Thanks for your help. I think I need to get hold of a wiring digram. Whats the best way to find out the year of the bike?

Cheers guys, shes running now and i've been boosting about the beach on her. I also gave her a clean air filter, a gearbox oil change and a new spark plug today. She still runs poorly when cold and is hard to start first time. If you put the revs to high she splutters to a stop unless she is warm. I think the carbs have been cleaned recently. Is there anything else that might be causing this?

Cheers guys, shes running now and i've been boosting about the beach on her. I also gave her a clean air filter, a gearbox oil change and a new spark plug today. She still runs poorly when cold and is hard to start first time. If you put the revs to high she splutters to a stop unless she is warm. I think the carbs have been cleaned recently. Is there anything else that might be causing this?

Maybe spark plug gap slightty too much, is there a choke button mounted on carb, does it work ok when you use that? Having said that, you can usually push those back in fairly quickly so might be pilot jet blocked.

How did you get it going BTW?

Cheers, I'll check the spark gap and check the carbs one day when I get bored. It was dodgy wiring on the kick stand that did it.

The bikes good fun. I'm going to rag it about a bit and later this year do my CBT and maybe get something road legal.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online