NEW TIRES ON 83 XS400! 1.85 width on front

Gnash
This post is 5787 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1.85 wide front wheel on my xs400. I know every manufacturer has different ACTUAL sizes of tires. The tire on the front wheel is 3.00/19. I think a 90/90 19 would be perfect. Would a 100/90 19 fit on my 1.85 wheel? It seems I have more tires to choose from with the 100, but only a few at 90/90. Also, would a wider front tire handle better or worse? I have found a 90/90 19 Bridgestone spitfire for front and a 130/90 16 for the back. Also, should I fit the same model of tire on the front and back? Would it ride and handle any differently with different tread designs? Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1.85 wide front wheel on my xs400. I know every manufacturer has different ACTUAL sizes of tires. The tire on the front wheel is 3.00/19. I think a 90/90 19 would be perfect. Would a 100/90 19 fit on my 1.85 wheel? It seems I have more tires to choose from with the 100, but only a few at 90/90. Also, would a wider front tire handle better or worse? I have found a 90/90 19 Bridgestone spitfire for front and a 130/90 16 for the back. Also, should I fit the same model of tire on the front and back? Would it ride and handle any differently with different tread designs? Thanks

for a start the tyres should be 18"

wider front tyres will slow the steering down the optimum would be BT45 bridgestone 90/90

for a start the tyres should be 18"

wider front tyres will slow the steering down the optimum would be BT45 bridgestone 90/90

Thanks guys. No offense, but it has a 19 on the front and a 16 on the back. Here's a pic:

83YamahaXS400black.jpg

I believe they're the stock wheels too. I'm still looking for the correct front fender. I don't want to hinder the steering in any way, so it looks like the 90/90 is the way to go. Thanks

Thanks guys. No offense, but it has a 19 on the front and a 16 on the back.

I believe they're the stock wheels too. I'm still looking for the correct front fender. I don't want to hinder the steering in any way, so it looks like the 90/90 is the way to go. Thanks

same here on the wheel sizes, mines a 19 on front and an 18 on back.... thats stock - i even checked the yamaha shop book i have for it.

ive been told at shops "no, both are 18" and then they get out the tape and scratch their heads.

Thanks guys. No offense, but it has a 19 on the front and a 16 on the back. Here's a pic:

my bad, just checked the parts book and they are the correct wheels and 19" front. just seems a retrograde step when the thinking at the time was going over to 17".

I know that yam used 16" with higher profile tyre on "factory customs"

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online