No 6th gear on my 83XS400!?

Gnash
This post is 5785 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike is an 83 xs400 DOHC 12R. It has 5 gears, but in the manual it says 6 speed! I am rapping 5500rpm at 55mph in 5th gear. It just feels like a top gear is missing. I know I read someting aboot this on here, but I can't find the topic. Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My bike is an 83 xs400 DOHC 12R. It has 5 gears, but in the manual it says 6 speed! I am rapping 5500rpm at 55mph in 5th gear. It just feels like a top gear is missing. I know I read someting aboot this on here, but I can't find the topic. Thanks.

I don't know about the gearing on your model, but mine in 6th gear does about 5500 at 55, by 70 it's doing about 6500. I often think I am in 5th when I'm in 6th (if I don't carefully count the gears I get lost). If I pay close attention I realize when I'm in 6th, and it's always sooner than I thought. Also remember that 1st is one down, then it's 5 up as you work up to 6th.

Thanks, man. I must be skipping a gear in between. I've counted myself silly. It's always 1 down 4 up! Oh well. It's good to know that your top gear is the same as mine. Thanks again.

Drewpy? Anyone?

if you get the manual via this forum, i'm sure there is the revs vs speed for each gear mentioned.

I've overgeared mine so its 5500rpm to 60mph usually its 6k to 60mph/9.8k to 100mph (yes i've seen that on my bike)

if your still not happy, then you will need to strip down the right hand clutch cover and check the quadrant and pawl is free to move the gears. you will be able to see this happening if someone changes gear (engine not running as you will have no oil in the engine, did i mention you need to drain the oil? :blink: ) it's obvious when you see it happening just sounds complicated.

drewps

Yeah, I'm definately missing a gear in between. I could just be shifting too hard. I'll try the "finesse" shift later. At least it's not 6th! When my new tires come in, I'll see what 100mph raps at! :D Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm definately missing a gear in between. I could just be shifting too hard. I'll try the "finesse" shift later. At least it's not 6th! When my new tires come in, I'll see what 100mph raps at! :D Thanks guys!

Check the shift pattern on the bike. Below the shifter on the bottom of the engine cover there should be a shift pattern sticker. On my '83 XS400k Maxim, it's 1-N-2-3-4-5. There is no 6th gear, though I really wish there were, because like your bike, mine spins 5500rpm @ 55mph, and is pretty linear from there up. Gets a bit buzzy at higher speeds. But then, this bike wasn't built to be an interstate cruiser...

I don't know now. The manual I have is for an '82 Maxim, and it shows the bike having 6 gears. Mine's an '83, maybe it's a differently geared. I've just gotten used to rapping the shit out of this bike. I haven't reved to 10 grand yet, but damn close. Like you said, on a 70 mph interstate, it would be an intense ride. My buddy says "Man, this bike was built to rap high, it aint no cruiser, it redlines at 10 grand!" So, I'm cool with that logic! :D

I don't know now. The manual I have is for an '82 Maxim, and it shows the bike having 6 gears. Mine's an '83, maybe it's a differently geared. I've just gotten used to rapping the shit out of this bike. I haven't reved to 10 grand yet, but damn close. Like you said, on a 70 mph interstate, it would be an intense ride. My buddy says "Man, this bike was built to rap high, it aint no cruiser, it redlines at 10 grand!" So, I'm cool with that logic! :D

Quick question, are you counting gears by counting the acceration periods (starting with the first gear start) or by counting upshifts? If you count the number of upshifts you will be one short. 6 speeds means 5 upshifts. That's one down, 5 up. Just making sure you don't think it's 5 when it's actually 6 gears.

Yeah, it's 1 down, then up to neutral, and then 4 more gears. The top gear is about 5700 rpm at 60mph. I have the 82 manual, but I should track down the 83 manual. It seems that parts are very hard to find for this bike, with the manual being the rarest.

I'm finding out the hard way on parts availability. I had no problem getting parts for my (now sold) 1982 KZ750. A lot of the parts for the '82 XS400's are discontinued. I also wish this bike had a 6th gear. I'm going to see if a 16 tooth sprocket will fit in place of the stock 15 to lower the highway revs a bit at the expense of a little acceleration. This bike is mainly for my daughter so I doubt she'll miss the second or two 0-60 times.

I hate to tell you this but I just viewed the 83' parts manual and there are only 5 gears listed

Yeah, it's 1 down, then up to neutral, and then 4 more gears. The top gear is about 5700 rpm at 60mph. I have the 82 manual, but I should track down the 83 manual. It seems that parts are very hard to find for this bike, with the manual being the rarest.

Look at the side cover by the shifter and it will show how many gears you have. Neutral is generally a half click. If you do a full up, folllow by another you may be shifting to 3rd when your going for second. Just a theory to check out.

I hate to tell you this but I just viewed the 83' parts manual and there are only 5 gears listed

Right on, Drewp! I have the 82 manual for the 12R. I knew it just had to be a 5 speed, but the 82, and so many other years have the 6 speed. I have to get my mitts on that 83 manual. They made some serious changes in those 2 years. I even wonder if I have the right oil (20W40) in the engine now. Thanks again!

Right on, Drewp! I have the 82 manual for the 12R. I knew it just had to be a 5 speed, but the 82, and so many other years have the 6 speed. I have to get my mitts on that 83 manual. They made some serious changes in those 2 years. I even wonder if I have the right oil (20W40) in the engine now. Thanks again!

You might have been looking at info for the Special (which has a SOHC engine and 6 gears) whereas your Maxim has DOHC and 5 gears. Something to think about. Just be glad your bike isn't a cruiser like the VLX, 4 speeds...

if you can read german there are loads of 12R stuff in german web sites www.xs400.de you will find sig links to the correct site. they have the detuned version for the german domestic market.

i have the '82 and '83 parts manual on cd along with most of the sohc stuff. i think pioneers x got the '83 off me and hosted it on his site!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online