Oil burner

rikernumber1
This post is 5778 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Just over a month in to Radian YX600 ownership; serviced it a week or so ago and since then it seems to be using oil - not sure if it was before as I hadn't had it long enough - this is also my first bike for 16 years so I'm re-learning a lot of things.

It's using about 500ml of oil (just under an imperial pint = 20 Fl oz) per 100 miles. I'm using semi-synthetic 10/40 motorcycle oil - stuff I got from http://www.wemoto.com - full URL for the oil is http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=2147944qqq5828349

Its main use is commuting - I do about 40 miles a day, down dual carriageway at approx 70 mph (plus or minus.....). Fuel consumption is between 53-60 mpg (again, imperial gallons). Performance is fine - plenty of welly when you need it. Engine seems to be original so is about 22 years old with approx 42K on the clock (speedo was replaced at some point, so this is best estimate based on old MoT certificates). Smokes a bit when starting - especially in the morning.

I have some questions:

1. If I use a more mineral based oil would that be better for it (and less likely to burn? Maybe a 20/50 oil would be better?

2. I'm guessing the rings/bore is worn, hence oil is going in to the cylinders that way and being burned, or maybe an internal leak from a gasket allowing oil to be burnt in the cylinders from the top - any opinions on this based on what I've described, or is it a case of taking it apart to see?

3. Is it simply too old to be used for for hacking down a dual carriageway at 70mph for 30 mins at a stretch?

TIA for any advice.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online