XS400J Maxim carb removal

road_rascal
This post is 5801 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone have any tips on removing the carbs from this bike? Even with the airbox unbolted (how do you remove that too?) and moved back about 1/2" I still have a heck of a time trying to wiggle the carbs out. I already tore one rubber boot on the airbox side. The 4 carbs from my 1982 KZ750 was a breeze to remove compared to this bike. The PDF manual someone posted here really doesn't give a detailed job.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The boots on the airbox will push into the airbox. You don't need to push them all the way into the airbox to get the carb out, just halfway. It's a bitch, I know! That's how you get the carbs out. You don't have to take the intake boots off. You'll need to fix that ripped boot. Getting the boots back on is enough to piss off the Pope. Oh, man just have some patience and work them back on through the inside of the airbox. I use needle nosed pliers and a flat screwdriver to just pry and pull on them. Other than the fuel line, and throttle cable, that's it.

The boots on the airbox will push into the airbox. You don't need to push them all the way into the airbox to get the carb out, just halfway. It's a bitch, I know! That's how you get the carbs out. You don't have to take the intake boots off. You'll need to fix that ripped boot. Getting the boots back on is enough to piss off the Pope. Oh, man just have some patience and work them back on through the inside of the airbox. I use needle nosed pliers and a flat screwdriver to just pry and pull on them. Other than the fuel line, and throttle cable, that's it.

also soften them up a bit with a hairdryer as they harden with age. ( i bit ike me really)

I'll try pushing the boots into the airbox- would have thought of that one. Thanks for the tip. Now I have to wait for the parts to arrive.