Overfill

Sambo
This post is 5800 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've waaay overfill the oil on my 2002 R6, will this effect it or shall i just ride it till it burns off?

hi there.best thing to do is take some oil out cause if you ride with 2 much oil your bike will start kickin out loads of smoke from the exhaust and you could lose power.hope it helps.

I've waaay overfill the oil on my 2002 R6, will this effect it or shall i just ride it till it burns off?

use a straw and then have a whisky chaser :)

other than that im affraid i have no sensible things to add

hi there.best thing to do is take some oil out cause if you ride with 2 much oil your bike will start kickin out loads of smoke from the exhaust and you could lose power.hope it helps.

Oh matey, you really do need to take some out, use the sump bolt under the bike to do it. If you use the bike with it to full....the oil pressure will damage stuff(because it will be 2 high), plus as xcelr8 says youll get shit loads of smoke, and it wont go away!!! the losing power bit is the over pressure building up in the crankcases.

Good luck!!

Oh matey, you really do need to take some out, use the sump bolt under the bike to do it. If you use the bike with it to full....the oil pressure will damage stuff(because it will be 2 high), plus as xcelr8 says youll get shit loads of smoke, and it wont go away!!! the losing power bit is the over pressure building up in the crankcases.

Good luck!!

[/quote#

Thats scary cos I did about 200 miles on it today and it was definatly low on power! Hope I haven't fcuked it!!

Woops!!! Yup...take some out, maybe even go that bit further and do a full oil change....then you know how much there is in it. Or you could just drop the oil into a suitable container, measure it out using an oil can or such (So you know how much your putting back in.), Let her tick over for a while when youve done, to let the oil get around.

Gd luck.

empty the oil when the engine is cold, when the oil is hot it hurts as i found out b4.lol. :D

Drain the oil warm - it flows more freely and you get a cleaner drain. Check the handbook and measure out the quantity stated for the refill. Overfilling will cause smoke, loss of power but more seriously and far more expensively it could knacker your catalytic converter!

So, if running your engine with too much oil does all that damage, how does he warm the oil up? fou.gif

So, if running your engine with too much oil does all that damage, how does he warm the oil up?

OG is right, just drain it out cold and fill back to the correct level with the bike UPRIGHT,..... NOT on the side stand.

Either put it on a paddock stand, or get someone to sit astride it holding it up while you refill.

Dont do anymore high rev riding till you sort it out coz you will be maxing out your visa card if you do too much :(:angry:

Based on the fact that this bike has already done 200 miles with too much oil in I didn't think 5 to 10 minutes at idle to warm the oil a little was going to make things much if any worse :mellow:

No i didnt notice that, under those cicumstances, maybe not,