few questions on new bike '83 maxim 400

83400maxim
This post is 5811 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just picked up an '83 maxim 400 and this seems to be the best place for info on these bikes... basically wanting to know some basic info about the bike .. i realize this is the dohc version of the standard sohc xs400 engine.. does it make more power because of it or run any differently? So far the bike starts great.. seems to take forever to warm up... and even then doesnt seem to run smoothly .. especially between 3.5-6k rpms ... carbs have been cleaned. Only about 15 min of run time so far as I'm waiting to get it licensed so perhaps running the bike a bit will smooth it out after sitting for a few years.

I'm sure i'll have a few more questions that I'm not remembering at the current time.. Any input,suggestions whatever would help... Also.. bike has around 6,300 miles .. not sure how often the valves need checked or adjusted, or if that should be a concern. Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well.. it seems as though it runs fine up to about 5 or 6k then runs terrible as though its missing or something....I dont believe its a fuel issue... anything specific to check for in the area of the electronics ?

sounds like carb diaphrams either perished, hard or holed. also check the slides move freely and drop with a "clonk"

sounds like carb diaphrams either perished, hard or holed. also check the slides move freely and drop with a "clonk"

"clonk" is the technical term... not to be confused with a "thump" or a "plop"

:lol:

"clonk" is the technical term... not to be confused with a "thump" or a "plop"

:lol:

"plop" is the sound of my crap hitting the bog water, "thump" is what i do to the kids when I'm trying to watch MotoGP

"Alright planning on taking the carbs off in a few days.... while I'm at it .. anything else to look for?

could strip down the carbs and check for blockages, check also your rubber manifolds for cracks.

Carbs appear om excellent shape inside and by going up a size on the mains the bike runs MUCH better however it still feels as though its a bit lean on top....can anyone else chime in with any jetting recomendations.. im running 127.5 and 117.5 mains... any reason for the two cylinders being different???.. really suprised me with a parallel twin...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online