YZF750R oil consumption

SNIFFER
This post is 5833 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Just purchased a 96 YZF750R and noticed it uses a bit of oil. At the rate of about half a litre per 600 miles.

I understand the 5 valve genesis engines are known for this but at what rate of consumption is normal and what is excesive?

The bike is under shop warranty so can go in if you guys think there is a problem.

The bike has done 24000 miles and runs and rides well except for being stuborn to go into neutral at a standstill.

She emits a small puff of smoke on start up but clears within 2 secs ( as if engine oil has found its way into the cylinders while parked up for a few days.

Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi that is a little high for oil consumption really, possible valve guide seal/ piston rings are worn and letting oil past,, maybe ask your dealer to do compression test to see if rings are worn, does bike start easy? the closer to 200 psi on compression check the better,,,basially if all very similar approx 170 /180 psi then thats cool.

The valve stem oil seals, if fitted, need to be replaced or the valve guides have worn and need replacing. That is causing your oil consumption. With your mis-fire as well, do you really want to keep this bike or let the dealer sort it?

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs, although I do not have a mis-fire and bike starts first time no probs hot or cold.

She's going into dealer when I can get over there so will see if they can be arsed to do anything.

Does anyone think the type of oil used can make a difference ? I have heard YAMALUBE is very good .

Oil consumption is definitely high.

Mine sometimes needs a blip on the throttle to get neutral - I think that's quite normal.

Haven't noticed much difference with oils, just use what's recommended by local Yam dealer.