R6 POWER COMMANDER1! Is it worth it?

chrissimmonds
This post is 5861 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello guys and gals!

This is all very new to me, im a complete internet virgin, can u believe it at the age of 28! Anyway, im thinking about fitting a Dyno-jet Power Commander to my beautiful baby. Shes a 2005 YZF R6, i know they are easily fitted and i could prob do it myself. However is the cost of this actually worth the better prefomance? Now im no track racer, but i do like a squeeze round the bends.........the bottom line is, is it worth the money????? :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if your getting a lot from your bike then you will notice the difference yes. fueling and throttle movement will be more precise, linear and positive. basically you will notice it :) always recommended with an exhaust and filter for best results

DO THE BRAKES, TYRES AND SUSPENSION FIRST! then get some advanced training.

There is no point going trying faster till you have used up all the power you already have and are still finding an R6 sluggish

But if you are going to fit one, it is best to get it done properly by an authorised DJ centre.

I have seen many bikes that run far worse than standard after fitting one, when set up without a proper dyno session.

If you are a fast road rider it is pretty pointless chasing a handfull of extra bhp at 13000 rpm, when even in the most experienced hand the bike will spend less than 5% of its life at full throttle.

Most road riders benefit from a flatter and fatter TORQUE curve at more realistic revs 7 - 12,000. After all that is where you get most use accelerating up to and beyond 100mph ( :o on the Island m`lud)

Trade top end for torque every time, unless your sirname is Toseland. Especially on a 600, where you will find yourself catching 750`s with ease. B)

Unless they have done the same of course :(

A sorted R6 is a match for most litre bikes on the road in the twisties, but you will never match the grunt of a full fat sportsbike in a straight line, so there is no shame in getting out gunned by your mates, you just stuff `em on the next bend when they are standing the buggers on their noses and bottling the apexes :D

Thanks R1EVA and TOMMY :D im thinking your probably right, at the moment i aint getting the most outta me bike and i know i could defo do with the trackdays! Foolishly i just wanna make the bike faster without the hard work :blink:

You know how it is "young, dumb and full of beans" :o

Wow! im loving this sight already, its saved me some moolah and cracking advice!

CHEERS GUYS!!!! :D

Thanks R1EVA and TOMMY :D im thinking your probably right, at the moment i aint getting the most outta me bike and i know i could defo do with the trackdays! Foolishly i just wanna make the bike faster without the hard work :blink:

You know how it is "young, dumb and full of beans" :o

Wow! im loving this sight already, its saved me some moolah and cracking advice!

CHEERS GUYS!!!! :D

ha ha great. how old are ya then!! i always considered myself the youngest regular really at teh grand age of 18!!

ha ha great. how old are ya then!! i always considered myself the youngest regular really at teh grand age of 18!!

18!!!!!!!! :o You got me well beaten mate! i feel old now at 28 :(

Young enough to learn, old enough to listen................You will do ok. B)

Try to get along to your local BIKESAFE day. Dont let the fact its run by the old bill put you off. They just want to make sure they are not going to have to pick bits of you out of the railings in the near future. And don`t forget, getting to know your local traffic lads could be a licence saver and who you gonna call if your bike gets nicked ;)

The national day at Hendon was really good (last month)...I`m still picking up pointers and good ideas...After thirty+ years in the saddle

If you feel like doing some track based training get in touch with HOPP RIDER TRAINING. They do proper fast, non hooligan training at Cadwell Park

Most of us Ringjunkies have been once or twice and found it to be a most enjoyable and relaxed way to go fast and learn some realy god road riding skills at a controlled fully marshalled event.

http://WWW.hoppridertraining.co.uk

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk

Cheers R1EVA, I got two real good mates who are bike coppers, they aint even mentioned BIKESAFE to me, i thinks me gonna have to open a can of whoop ass on em :angry: Cheers again will look it up :huh:

To answer the basic question, yes.

To have a power commander fitted and set up for what you want ie power or torque and with a free flow air filter etc. is worth the money spent. You should also have the correct tyres to suit your riding and have the whole susphension revised and set up for your weight and style of riding.

You cannot do one thing in isolation.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online