SZR660 / XTZ660

funky
This post is 5882 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, not been on here for a while as i have been away with the Army. so first off hello!

Anyway i got a broken bike that needs fixing, it is a szr660 single. it has the same engine as a xtz660. the problem is it wont start i press the ignition and all i hear is a clicking sound. all the lights work apart from the indercaters (they just stay on)

What i know, the bike was in a crash where the number plate went into the back wheel and riped it off including the undertray and wires apart at the rear. it then ran back home after bump starting it. the clocks were going mad lights on lights off etc. after he stopped at home and turned the bike off it never started again.

my ideas are cdi unit? coil? or bad earth?

if anyone can help me or anyone selling them parts please comment. thanks Mark.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi,sounds like you have two wires touching each other or maybe live from battery is loose like switching ignition on and off. check all your wires and connections inc the battery terminals

just got a new battery, it never worked. also the is 2 wires that connect to the - battery and if i try and connect it to the positive side sparks fly!

you got a live wire touching another wire somewhere.what wires are you trying to connect to batery?

This is going to sound stupid. i have 2 live wires and 1 negative. i have one of the live wires on the negative. if i put both live wires together sparks start flying. i also have pictures, maybe u could see some think. on the back of the bike there are 2 wires not connecting to anythink, i think this was the number plate light wires but not shore.

01042008244.jpg this is the wires at the rear

01042008242.jpg 2 wires on the negative and one on the positive.

Thanks for your help Jim?

that looks wrong, take the small wire with the red tag bit off the negative and put it on the positive, it looks like its a fused wire so it needs to be on positive terminal., when ever you do any thing with battery take the negative wires off first,

the wire looks like it goes from the pos terminal through a fuse onto the neg terminal?? this looks odd to me,

I charged the battery up all night 10hrs slow charge, as the instructions. it was fully charged. i connected it up. the wire with the red band is connected to the main fuse 20A. if i put it on the positive it sparks. also when im connecting the positive side of the battery up, if my metal screw driver touches the frame, i got a load of sparks too. spent about 5 hours on it today just learning where all the parts are and what i think they do etc. following the manual. i also go all the lights working as they should. needed a new flasher. the only other thing is my neutral light stays on even when in gear? i also tryed bump starting it and nothin. im abit stuck. the manual says that the ignition coil should be on the right side but i think its on the left. but where it should be on the right there is a 2 pin plug just sitting there.

02042008246.jpg this is what i think is the ignition coil

02042008245.jpg on the right side. nothing to connect

it will spark unless you take off the neg wire before doing it.that is the ht coil in the picture , your bike only has one .neutral light switch sounds faultly,they work by going to earth, if switch done work then wont earth etc.it sparks cause the frame is the earth , this is normal. where does the negative wire from battery go????

I tryed connecting the 2 positive wires first, then went to connect the negative and it started to melt? the negative wire connects to the bottom of the engine. so does the positive. is it called the AC generator? (source coil/pick-up coil)? My local garage has said he will look at the bike and find the folt and tell me what/where it is for £35. unless we can work it out

more news. i got a screw driver and connected the to poitaive points on the starter solenoid. it trys to turn the bike over but does not start. i have ordered a new sloenoid

its a shame i cant get my hands on your bike and be face to face etc, its hard to picture what is actually infront of you .

would love to ride safe my ol mate but sitting here looking out window cause im on a ban lol. have you tried replacing starter relay? also check starter fuse and main 30 amp fuse, the green one,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online