My New 650 DragStar - VERY LOUD - too loud????

kniller
This post is 5809 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well............... I picked up my new XVS650 DragStar on Good Friday morning and I’ve already covered a few hundred miles. I'm really pleased with her even though she has a few snagging issues, one being that every now and again she loses power from the battery, this is temporarily solved by removing the battery cover and tugging on the negative lead a little bit until power is restored. There are no loose connections so I wondered if just greasing up the terminals might solve this?? Any suggestions?

The other problem being that she has aftermarket pipes fitted, they look and sound the tits but Oh My God they are loud!!! Didn’t realise quite how loud until I’d covered some miles and had to stop at Boots to buy some aspirin and a pair of ear plugs. After some investigation I’ve found out they are “Laser” Slash-cut slip on pipes and marked up “not for highway use”. I couldn’t give a flying f**k about the legality of them, I’m sure I can sweet talk plod if needs be. It just bothers me having gone from a nice quiet commuter XJ600 to this roaring Animal that I’m going to struggle to get used to them. Does anyone know if you can muffle these down a bit for the long journeys?

All in all! I love this new bike! Even more so after the comment my work mate made “You look like a colourful terminator on that thing” hehehe how cool is that! Check her out! B)

normal_bikes-007.jpg

normal_bikes-046.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thats a gawwwwjuss bike you got there!!

Is the battery a new one? if not i would suggest replacing it, see if that stops your power drainage problem if greasing the terminals dont work.

As for your pipes - leave em loud!!

You will get used to it after a few runs, but just be uber careful if you do get pulled - you could always play the "its me first cruiser, i bought it like this and don't know jack shit about them blah blah etc etc occifer" card.

Enjoy your new bike! :D

thats a beautiful bike!!!! She looks so shiny and well looked after. The pipes that you have on there look the dogs b******s and I would not change them. If you are struggling with her growling maybe just get some earplugs :) and carry some paracetamol lol :rolleyes:

She's a beaut aint she. I'll post some better pics soon when the sun comes out again (if the sun ever comes out again).

It came with a wind shield on it which I wasn't keen on so I wrenched that off straight away. It's in fairly good nick so if anyone's in the market for one of these then feel free to make me an offer. I'm also not keen on the trim around the front mud guard so that may be coming off too if your interested.

Im looking for a windshield actually, dont know if itll fit me bike tho. Where do you get those chrome thingys from for the front wheel, they are well nice :). If you not selling em, if you hear of anyone who has either, Id really appreciate it as my bike is kind of naked of all fussyness (not a good thing lol )

Im looking for a windshield actually, dont know if itll fit me bike tho. Where do you get those chrome thingys from for the front wheel, they are well nice :). If you not selling em, if you hear of anyone who has either, Id really appreciate it as my bike is kind of naked of all fussyness (not a good thing lol )

You'll have ta join the queue honey, im after it :lol:

I also just changed my XJ600 for an xv750se on Good Friday and mine too is LOUD! The difference is my straight thru' pipes have a BS stamp on them and since it has just passed its MOT I presume they are fully legal. I rode it home 200miles and loved the sound it made (although had tinitus all evening). The noise is a shock but I'm sure I'll get used to it and indeed like it! Its great when you go for a ride and ride slowly through the town and everyone looks to see whats making that noise!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have just bought a Dragstar xvs650 and it came with a brand new windshield and all the fittings that had never been used, and is in perfect nick. I would be glad to sell it to you. Make me an offer and it's yours.

Paul

PS

I wouldn't want to deprive your bike of fussyiness!!!

hello there i just registered with the forum 2day.

i have had my dragstar now for almost 2 years and before that i had the xvs 125 dragstar for 3 years almost. the thing that makes me sooooo angry is that i am a student and have not been able to afford new pipes so i been stuck with standard pipes and its hard to tell if the bike is started or not lol.

BUT!!!!

i have some money due and i want to get what i think are called drag pipes. there the ones that curve down and points to the floor and blow dust everywhere when u start it :P

does anyone have these??? are they super loud??? if i can still here my walkman then there not loud enough lmao ;)

please reply with any infomation u have to offer about this thanx

hello there i just registered with the forum 2day.

i have had my dragstar now for almost 2 years and before that i had the xvs 125 dragstar for 3 years almost. the thing that makes me sooooo angry is that i am a student and have not been able to afford new pipes so i been stuck with standard pipes and its hard to tell if the bike is started or not lol.

BUT!!!!

i have some money due and i want to get what i think are called drag pipes. there the ones that curve down and points to the floor and blow dust everywhere when u start it :P

does anyone have these??? are they super loud??? if i can still here my walkman then there not loud enough lmao ;)

please reply with any infomation u have to offer about this thanx

I've seen the ones your on about, they look awesome. Any idea how much they are? Mine are deffinately too loud to wear my walkman, the girlfriend whines cos she says it distorts her heavy death metal or whatever shite it is she listens to :D

yer i hered these are ment to be really loud. i give u the ebay link there is more left for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190205146046

these pipes are brand new i believe and there is a few for sale.

there is a button on the page to download a clip to see and here them.

She's a beaut aint she. I'll post some better pics soon when the sun comes out again (if the sun ever comes out again).

It came with a wind shield on it which I wasn't keen on so I wrenched that off straight away. It's in fairly good nick so if anyone's in the market for one of these then feel free to make me an offer. I'm also not keen on the trim around the front mud guard so that may be coming off too if your interested.

Is the windshield still for sale? I'll be interested in it.

Cheers, Groundhogger.

The other problem being that she has aftermarket pipes fitted, they look and sound the tits but Oh My God they are loud!!!

Does anyone know if you can muffle these down a bit for the long journeys?

You could try removing the baffles and welding a perforated plate over the ends ( a circular piece of steel with holes drilled in to it) and then packing them with stainless steel wool before re-fitting them. I have a 2 in to 1 exhaust and I did this to mine, now it is at a nice volume. The perforated plate also gives you back a bit of back pressure which you generally lose when you add aftermarket exhausts.

The other problem being that she has aftermarket pipes fitted, they look and sound the tits but Oh My God they are loud!!!

Does anyone know if you can muffle these down a bit for the long journeys?

Loud pipes save lives honey

Get yourself some top quality ear plugs - and i dont mean the cheapy ones - try the moulded ones- they will do the job for ya.

Hi I have just bought a Dragstar xvs650 and it came with a brand new windshield and all the fittings that had never been used, and is in perfect nick. I would be glad to sell it to you. Make me an offer and it's yours.

Paul

PS

I wouldn't want to deprive your bike of fussyiness!!!

How much are you thinking of for the windshield, (if you still have it)?

Loud pipes save lives honey

Get yourself some top quality ear plugs - and i dont mean the cheapy ones - try the moulded ones- they will do the job for ya.

Ok so I havnt a custom jobby, but Goffs right, loud pipes save lives. I told that to the plod who pulled me yesterday in Chorley.... He didnt wear it ( He nearly wore my helmet tho, the wrong way) Anyhoo.. Im a little lighter of cash( yes he did tell me to change it, and gave me a nice ticket, noobhead, and a telling off... I bought an end can from a local breakers and rode past said plod wavving it in the air, revving the bollocks off my Yellow monster with a straight through end can.... He just shook his head.... Cant do me for it twice!!!!!! So my newish stamped can is gona get a tweak, ie remove some of that crap inside andmaybe shorten it a little, cos it looks like it should be on a Mack truck!!

Yes loud pipes save lives, Coppers dont think so......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online