TW 125 NO SPARK HELP!!!!HELP

Max kenady
This post is 5895 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

NO SPARK PLEASE HELP

I have been given a tw125 by my granddad when he passed away a couple of months ago and

It hasn’t run for 2 years after it stopped sparking one day.

He left me a note under seat saying good luck max have fun which was a nice touch and

What to get it running for him as well as me and will keep the bike until it rots away.

So I would very much appreciate any help and advice to get it going again.

Things I have tried

Coil

New eci unit

Cut out switches on handle bar and stand

New plug

Could it be the generator and how do you test it , I have one of those multimeters but havent got a clue how to test the omes with it as it says in the manual.

Thanks for looking

Max :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

are you sure there is no spark? you could try an old style strobe for setting points. these plug into the HT lead intead of the plug and light up if there is HT.

worth a try.

NO SPARK PLEASE HELP

I have been given a tw125 by my granddad when he passed away a couple of months ago and

It hasn’t run for 2 years after it stopped sparking one day.

He left me a note under seat saying good luck max have fun which was a nice touch and

What to get it running for him as well as me and will keep the bike until it rots away.

So I would very much appreciate any help and advice to get it going again.

Things I have tried

Coil

New eci unit

Cut out switches on handle bar and stand

New plug

Could it be the generator and how do you test it , I have one of those multimeters but havent got a clue how to test the omes with it as it says in the manual.

Thanks for looking

Max :D

Congratulations on your bike, and sorry about the circumstances how you got it.

First check all fuses and replace if broken

Check if battery is fully charged

check if the coil gets power; 12 volt on the input wires when the ignition is switched on

Check if the coil gets it's timing signal, (see manual)

Check cable from coil to sparkplug (measure resistance over it) with ignition OFF and preferrably battery disconnected.

No need to worry about the generator yet. If the battery is charged, the bike should run.

Here is the user manual and supplementary info.

http://www.tw-parts.com/macbig2k1/doc/tw125-1999.pdf

http://www.tw-parts.com/macbig2k1/doc/tw125-2003.pdf

Have fun! :)

are you sure there is no spark? you could try an old style strobe for setting points. these plug into the HT lead intead of the plug and light up if there is HT.

worth a try.

dont think there are any points its controled by cdi but there is nothing at all to the plug

cheers max

dont think there are any points its controled by cdi but there is nothing at all to the plug

cheers max

If the bike 'suddenly stopped sparking', my money is on the HT lead/plug cap. These are quite fragile and use moulded graphite cores as conductors. If they crack, there may not be enough current present to 'jump the gap'. Try getting a new lead and cap. You can check if 'arcing' is occurring by getting an old transistor radio and tuning it to a blank area (no station) at the top end of the Long Wave (LW) band. Kick the engine over and, if you hear a rhythmic 'tic-tic-tic', you have a cracked graphite conductor.

Promise me that you will not test an HT circuit with your tongue, as stated in the OP header. It is perfectly possible for you to join your Grandad if you do...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online