1992 SR125 power problem

SouthpawPete
This post is 5900 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

New here, and really hoping someone can point a new biker in the right direction! I have a 1992 SR125, which I bought just a couple of weeks ago after passing my CBT last month. I've done a few ride outs, and on Sunday, rode it 65 miles from my girlfriend's to my dad's place with no problems. On Monday I fuelled up, and within about half a mile it started to lose power. It felt like driving a car with the handbrake being applied. Every now and then full power kicks back in (a little worrying, as at times I can have the throttle fully open and barely be holding 40mph, then suddenly it jumps to life again!). Last time I fuelled up - immediately before the problem started - I used high octane unleaded. Thinking back I'm sure I read somewhere that old engines are tuned to use the newer fuel and wondered if this may be part of the prob? The only other advice that I've had is that it may be a hairline crack somewhere that opens up as the engine warms up (another ride this evening does suggest that it runs fine for the first couple of miles, then starts losing power).

If anyone can shed any light, it'd be much appreciated

Many thanks from a total beginner!!!

Pete

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

New here, and really hoping someone can point a new biker in the right direction! I have a 1992 SR125, which I bought just a couple of weeks ago after passing my CBT last month. I've done a few ride outs, and on Sunday, rode it 65 miles from my girlfriend's to my dad's place with no problems. On Monday I fuelled up, and within about half a mile it started to lose power. It felt like driving a car with the handbrake being applied. Every now and then full power kicks back in (a little worrying, as at times I can have the throttle fully open and barely be holding 40mph, then suddenly it jumps to life again!). Last time I fuelled up - immediately before the problem started - I used high octane unleaded. Thinking back I'm sure I read somewhere that old engines are tuned to use the newer fuel and wondered if this may be part of the prob? The only other advice that I've had is that it may be a hairline crack somewhere that opens up as the engine warms up (another ride this evening does suggest that it runs fine for the first couple of miles, then starts losing power).

If anyone can shed any light, it'd be much appreciated

Many thanks from a total beginner!!!

Pete

Hi Pete, the first thing to check would be to make sure that your fuel tap is clear? try removing the pipe from the carb and turning the fuel on and see if you get a steady flow from the pipe? if so reconnect to the carb and drain the float bowl on the bottom of the carb and see if there is any dirt or water in the fuel? If these are both ok next change the spark pulg and also check the plug lead to see if that cures the problem if non of these have any effect the next step would be to change the coil as these can break down when hot. this should be your first course of action as all of these things are quite easy and inexpensive to carry out even if you have little mechanical experiance.

good luck

Bill

It's worth giving the carb "tubes" a blow through with an air compressor. (One of the ones you plug into you car lighter socket; not a garage type inflator!) Also, check you spark plug is clean & gapped properly and suitably tight. If you let your fuel run really low, you may have pulled through all the crud at the bottom of the tank and it could be blocking the fuel tap and/or carb. If you pul the fule line off the carb and open the fuel tap, does the petrol flow freely?

Taking off the carb and cleaning it out would be worth doing.

Maybe you got some bad fuel? I didn't think such an engine would be happy with higher octance fuel; would you need to change the plug for a different one?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online