99 WR Hard Start

tumbleweed
This post is 5921 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought a 1999 WR 400 and it is a B#$%H to crank I have tried rolling the throttle a couple of times since the previous owner told me it had a carb pump then getting it just past top dead center using the compression release choking it, and kicking and kicking and kicking there has got to be something that will make this thing crank a little easier.

What is the red choke button for? I have been using the black one?

thanks for anyone willing to answer, anybody want buy an otherwise nice 400?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just bought a 1999 WR 400 and it is a B#$%H to crank I have tried rolling the throttle a couple of times since the previous owner told me it had a carb pump then getting it just past top dead center using the compression release choking it, and kicking and kicking and kicking there has got to be something that will make this thing crank a little easier.

What is the red choke button for? I have been using the black one?

thanks for anyone willing to answer, anybody want buy an otherwise nice 400?

The red button is the hot start button, only to be used when starting when the engine is hot.

I have had a few WR/yz's with the decompression lever and there is a knack to it.

I always use to pull the lever in and kick the bike slowly 3 or 4 times then give the throttle a couple of pumps. Once this is done you need to kick slowly until the engine locks up on compression then pull the decompressor and kick just to free the motor and then kick fully straight to the bottom.

If using this method you don't have any joy then look at valve clearances as these bikes are pretty good starters as long as everything is ok mechanically.

Good luck

I had one of these, they are hard b**t*rds to start for sure!

You've got to work out the right feel of the kickstarter against the decompression lever, let it ride back up and kick it like hell - but the best advice I can give is this:

DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHEN KICKING IT OVER!!!

We're always tempted to give it a little tweak as we hit the button or kick things over, but on these WR's and in my experience any 4-stroke single, blipping the throttle is a big no no.

hope this helps. even when you do it right, they'r ehorrible to get going.

I have evil memories of dropping mine down a remote welsh hillside and then having to pick it up from an inverted position, push it back up a hill through waist high gorse bushes, and then attempt to kick start a hot, flooded bike whilst standing on a mud path so narrow and slippery that you couldn't kick the bike over without fear of falling back down the same hill. :wacko:

My god, it's all come flooding back. In fact, sell it, it'll be less hassle!

good luck!

Paul B

I had one of these, they are hard b**t*rds to start for sure!

You've got to work out the right feel of the kickstarter against the decompression lever, let it ride back up and kick it like hell - but the best advice I can give is this:

DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHEN KICKING IT OVER!!!

We're always tempted to give it a little tweak as we hit the button or kick things over, but on these WR's and in my experience any 4-stroke single, blipping the throttle is a big no no.

hope this helps. even when you do it right, they'r ehorrible to get going.

I have evil memories of dropping mine down a remote welsh hillside and then having to pick it up from an inverted position, push it back up a hill through waist high gorse bushes, and then attempt to kick start a hot, flooded bike whilst standing on a mud path so narrow and slippery that you couldn't kick the bike over without fear of falling back down the same hill. :wacko:

My god, it's all come flooding back. In fact, sell it, it'll be less hassle!

good luck!

Paul B

Oh yes, the big kick. . .lol sounds like youve had fun. My mate had one of these and it threw him off the kick, he ended up pushing home from petrol station with a bad limp. He kept it for a week and got rid.

Thank whoever for electric start. . .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online