Fuel additives...

Brainstorm
This post is 5962 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I know oil additives are not recommended for the XVS series, but I wonder if there would be any problem with putting a fuel additive in, such as Redex. Redex works great on carburettors, etc. and generally good for keeping the engine running well.

Anyone tried it?

advice much appreciated :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Do they have Redex in Japan?

An odd question; Having never visited japan, I can't answer your question, are you planning to visit or something? I'm not sure why you answered my question with a question though, that doesn't really give me any answers.

I did read somewhere that someone used it on their XVS1100, and it improved a possible carb icing issue. I'm not sure if the engine configuration is too dissimilar on the 125 to use the same product.

Advice would be great, if anyone's used this?

An odd question; Having never visited japan, I can't answer your question, are you planning to visit or something? I'm not sure why you answered my question with a question though, that doesn't really give me any answers.

I did read somewhere that someone used it on their XVS1100, and it improved a possible carb icing issue. I'm not sure if the engine configuration is too dissimilar on the 125 to use the same product.

Advice would be great, if anyone's used this?

The point is that the engines are designed in Japan where they don't have Redex so its never been tested on them. If you wish to shove something up the carbs and engine, then find something that Yamaha have tested as to not causing any problem.

Carb icing is caused by the venturi in the carb and in a standard configureation, should not happen.

Modern fuels do not carry the 'sludging' problems of the old leaded fuels and they are high in benzene radicals that do away with 'icing' problems. They are also laced with xylene solvent that cleans the engine as you go. XVS Yamahas all have Mikuni carbs that are improved copies of the old Amal Concentric carbs upon which the glorious SU was based. These are ice-free, and frosting is carried into the engine due to the shape of the venturi.

The last carb I had ice-up on me was a Weber DCOE48 on my old MGBGT. Dellortos on Harleys, Zeniths, Keihins and Holleys all suffer from icing, but not if run on modern unleaded.

I most certainly would not use a kerosene-based product such as STP, Redex or Wynn's as you will do more damage than good.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online