Newb question about my bikes bhp

sezicoolcat
This post is 5968 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

I have a bike I know nothing about.

It is a Yamaha RS200 in blue.

I have never rode before.

I am going to attempt the CBT after new year.

I always thought that L plate learners could ride under a 125cc.

My bike, being a 195cc, is out of bounds for me until I pass my bike test.

However, it appears on this list as being 33bhp.

http://www.bat-motorcycles.co.uk/33bhp.asp

Does this mean I could ride with L-plates?

Sarah

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, hope this helps, http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Learn...Ride/DG_4022661

Good Luck with the test :D

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Its a jungle out there if you don't know about these matters...

What bhp would my bike be? More than 33bhp or less?

I don't have an Instruction manual for the bike.

Some have suggested its more or less an RD200, but I cannot be certain.

Haynes don't do a manual for my bike and they have no plans to either.

I will probably do the Direct Access route as I'm over 21.

But it would be nice to know if I slapped some L plates on I could some extra practice in if I was under 33bhp.

I guess I call a Yamaha dealer, or would they just laugh at me?

Sarah

Hi, no problem, i found this site, it may help you, have a look, if that doesn't help then calling a dealer would be a good idea, http://www.aircooledrdclub.co.uk/forum/for...sts.asp?TID=650

Hope you get to ride it soon, :)

Thanks everso R1Mad. Ihave spent the last 2 weeks trying to find out any sort of info on this bike - some have said the RS was Yamahas "parts bin" model. And here you have found fellow RD / RS owners! I am going to join them and post a few pics. Thank you once again!

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Welcome aboard.

Here's the bad news......................unfortunately since about 1985 (for those of us who can remember) the powers that be decided that bikes over 125cc were far too dangerous for learners and restricted them, virtually wiping out the 250cc market overnight! To add insult to injury they have over the years that followed further restricted 2 wheeled access and so today you have to......

For DA

1. Take and 'pass' a CBT (cost around £120)

2. Take and pass a theory test (irrespective of whether you have a car licence!)

3. Take and pass a practical test on a bike of more than 33BHP/35.x Kwh (can't remember exactly)

For A2

The same but 3 would be on a bike of which is, or can be restricted to 33bhp. This you can ride for 2 years and then get a bigger bike or remove the restrictor kit without having to jump through any more hoops.

Now......................

Here's the even worse news..................

From November 2008 the practical test comes in 2 parts is much harder and probably more expensive!

So as regards your RS you can't ride it 'legally' until you have passed either your DA or A2, and of course to do that you need some 'time' on a bigger bike which you can only do with a riding school, unless you know a 'tame' instructor and access to a big bike! Now you say you are over 21 so the DA route sounds sensible as it is basically the same test, but a word of caution - and this is not meant to be sexist in any way but my other half and her friend have taken 2 tests now as they find the bigger bike harder to control on the compulsory U turn..............just a consideration.

As to the bike itself the RS 200 is a bigger version of the 125, which was a pretty mechanically sound bike let down by an indifferent frame and dodgy electrics.............however they are getting quite collectable now. You will of course have all the wonders of a 2 stroke bike and a kickstart, but for all that you will get a machine with the power of a 350 or 400cc 4 stroke!

Have fun and keep us posted

:rolleyes:

Hi sara,

your RS200 is about 24 bhp. However if its a bit old, it may not even have that. Should be good for 80mph maxmum, but not uphill!

The 33bhp motorcycle category is for riders with a full license under 21 who are restricted to bikes under 33bhp. So as you are over 21 this restriction does not apply.

You had better get in touch with a riding school, do your CBT and test on one of thier 125's then use your bike. Incidentaly you should do this quickly as from september the full test is going to be harder to do, as there are not enough test centres capable of doing the new test. So it will take ages to get a test, and quite possible be hard for you to find the time to get to a test centre. The governments guideline is that everyone lives within 20 minutes of a test centre, but for some stupid reason this includes travel time on a motorway! (which you are not allowed to travel on with L plates!)

best of luck

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online