Oil Levels

YBRLondon
This post is 5983 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't think it really matters - the heat isn't going to make that much difference to the level.

Just make sure that when you check - the bike is level, and on level ground.

:rolleyes:

Hi fosdyke, thanks for the reply.

I was just wandering which was the more faithful reading as I know that when it comes to tyres, you should always check the pressures cold.

I've had a look in the owners manual since and it does say in there that you should warm the engine up for several minutes and wait for the oil to settle before taking the reading. I don't know if this is so much to to warm the engine up or make sure the oil gets everywhere before you measure what's in the reservoir.

If anyone knows any different please let me know.

H :o)

When the bike has been left ie that it is cold, the oil would have drained back to the lowest point. In most cases that would be a sump. Therefore a sightglass will give one reading. If the bike is run for a few minutes and then stopped,you will get another different level. The point is to get consistancy. If it is not mentioned in the handbook, then choose to check the level when cold. Do not overfill.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online