1981 XS500 oil filter

jime
This post is 4527 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I have joined as I have recently got a 1981 XS500.

I have already managed to source numerous parts from ebay, however I'm having problems finding a new oil filter cartridge, either the original large size one, or the later update which I believe was an adapter seal, allowing a smaller cartridge to be fitted.

Does anyone know where I maybe able to source this in the UK?

Thanks Jime

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I have joined as I have recently got a 1981 XS500.

I have already managed to source numerous parts from ebay, however I'm having problems finding a new oil filter cartridge, either the original large size one, or the later update which I believe was an adapter seal, allowing a smaller cartridge to be fitted.

Does anyone know where I maybe able to source this in the UK?

Thanks Jime

jim patch - phone only

motoward

guvenors bridge

get a parts book so its easier to identify the parts you are after and not get an earlier model part which is different. (its happened to me and they also get superceded)

• 4 years later...

Hi Jime,

Are you sure it's a 1981? It's an XS500 twin cylinder street bike, not the XT500 single cylinder?

I thought that the last year of production for the XS500 was 1978, with a few leftovers perhaps being sold as 1979 models.

However, I live in Canada. It's entirely possible that it was available in the UK for few more years.

Assuming that it is an XS500, the oil filter part number is 371-13440-90-00. This is for all model years., even including the similar but older TX500 twin.

.The XS500 oil and air filters have not been produced by Yamaha for many years. All that is left is NOS. (New old stock.)

Yamaha did for a while produce an oil filter adaptor which allowed use of a currently produced oil filter, but unfortunately that adaptor is no longer available from Yamaha either. The adaptor rarely appears for sale on ebay. Incidently both the original and the filters for the adaptor are metal can, spin on types. You may see some cartridge filters.(the ones where the pleated paper filter element is visible.) for the yamaha 500. These are not compatible with the XS5500.

I can't help you specifically for UK vendors, but you can usually find oil filters on ebay. I bought a lot of 4 filters, manufactured by EMGO, for $40 + $16 shipping from a USA seller (motorcyclists1 is the vendor name) about a month ago. Perhaps ebay UK will have some in the future.

Speed and Sport Yamaha (USA) have many parts for the XS500, at high prices. A nice feature of their website

is the exploded parts list for all sections of the bike. Great for finding a part number.

To see the parts lists on that site: Click on the "store' link near the top of the page.On the new page that appears, choose the the vehicle type, the year, and the model from the drop down lists at the top of the page. (You will have to choose 1978 for the year, because the XS500 will not appear as an option for later years.) Just to the right, click on search. A list will now appear on the left side of the screen, just click on the section of the bike that interests you and the exploded parts list will appear, with part numbers and prices.

I checked today, it looks like they have recently run out of oil filters. I'm sure they had many in stock only a month ago. I didn't buy one there because they were priced a $52.50 each.

The yamaha Owners Club website is great, but another forum that may be of interest is this one;

There are far fewer members, but all are focused on the TX/XS500.

In the tech section is a nice thread which tells you how to adapt a modern bikes air filter element to work with the XS500.

Please post a picture of your bike , here and at the XS500 forum

Bernie