Splitting a crank case... WTF

pyromancy5
This post is 5989 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1992 Seca II XJ600 and i am splitting the case. I cant get the damn thing apart and i don't want to mess up my case prying it apart. I used a shop manual and removed all 35 bolts and i still cant get it off. The timing and pressure valves are off too. I only need to get into the bottom, I am not touching the upper half. if any one has some suggestion on how to do this with out damaging anything, please let me know. there is only one pry point, is there any where else I should apply pressure?

Alex M. Brown

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1992 Seca II XJ600 and i am splitting the case. I cant get the damn thing apart and i don't want to mess up my case prying it apart. I used a shop manual and removed all 35 bolts and i still cant get it off. The timing and pressure valves are off too. I only need to get into the bottom, I am not touching the upper half. if any one has some suggestion on how to do this with out damaging anything, please let me know. there is only one pry point, is there any where else I should apply pressure?

Alex M. Brown

have you tried leaving a couple of bolts screwed in but not al the way and tapping the heads just to loosen the cases a bit,

I:e screw a few bolts back in fully then unscrew maybe 3 turns max and tap the heads of the bolts but not so hard that you damage the threads, this will need to be done evenly as i think you will find there are locating dowels between the 2 cases which are holding it together,

merv

• 2 weeks later...

Id be real sure all bolts are off, does shift shaft run throught center? look for hidden bolts on crank ends, im not real familier with that motor but id bet theres a hidden bolt. If you gently tap with metal hammer with rag over case (real gently) do you get a hollow tap sound? (kinda hard to explain a sound). try yamahas part micro fish site there would be a blowup of engine. .

heres some pics , hope it helps.

behind filter bolt. this was on a 80s xj I tore down

0702140002.jpg

captures are of bike your asking about.

Capture92xj.jpg

92xj2.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online