R6 in Winter time

Daiv
This post is 6004 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I use my R6 for work everyday.

Some of my shifts demand a 4:30am departure.

I am aware that one should always warm up the engine before setting off,

but what's a decent temp to aim for?

(a colleague has advised me that he once fatally damaged an R6

because he failed to warm it up and it's high rev nature

caused an engine crack)!

Any other winter riding advice also welcome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I use my R6 for work everyday.

Some of my shifts demand a 4:30am departure.

I am aware that one should always warm up the engine before setting off,

but what's a decent temp to aim for?

(a colleague has advised me that he once fatally damaged an R6

because he failed to warm it up and it's high rev nature

caused an engine crack)!

Any other winter riding advice also welcome.

In the winter alway worm it up, on my R1 in starts with LO and then it goes in to numbers, starts at about 42C, so i wait for it and at that point I start putting my helmet and glowes on, don't go too crazy with the revs for the first 5 mins, let the engine wake up :)

Hope that helps.

In the winter alway worm it up, on my R1 in starts with LO and then it goes in to numbers, starts at about 42C, so i wait for it and at that point I start putting my helmet and glowes on, don't go too crazy with the revs for the first 5 mins, let the engine wake up :)

Hope that helps.

Appreciate your advice R1Mad. I don't move unless it shows 40c.

let it heat up, it will smoke less out teh pipes as well, my adive for winter riding dont spank it in low gears, im rapidly chewing a rear tyre due to it sliding all over the place like a greasy hooker!!

but then again, ride it like ya stole it!

I too wait for a temperature indication. I never ride with it reading "LO". It doesnt take too long to show 40 really, and during the wait I will put my helmet and gloves on etc.

I start it up on full choke without using the throttle, then as soon as she starts I take the choke to mid point. As soon as there is a reading, I turn it off and it settles into a nice idle.

I dont take her above 5000 RPM until the temp reads into the high 60s, then progressively open up as the temp climbs.

Trying to use too much power in anything below 4th results in losing traction at the rear. Can be fun, but on a steep camber, its instant sideways action lol!