Need advice on value of project

curdy
This post is 5979 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone! I have a 1978 XS400 2E that I'm looking to sell. It is fully disassembled and in boxes. The bike was in decent shape when I got it (engine has compression, no dents). I was planning on rebuilding into a cafe racer, but really need to focus on other areas of my life right now. I picked up some parts along the way like an extra seat, fat rear tire and wheel from an '81 (If memory serves me right), new spark plugs, oil filter, etc. I've done quite a bit of cleaning and it looks like it'll be a simple rebuild.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can expect to get for it? Keeping in mind I'd rather sell it in one shot rather than spending the time on listing all the parts individually on ebay.

Thanks a bunch!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everyone! I have a 1978 XS400 2E that I'm looking to sell. It is fully disassembled and in boxes. The bike was in decent shape when I got it (engine has compression, no dents). I was planning on rebuilding into a cafe racer, but really need to focus on other areas of my life right now. I picked up some parts along the way like an extra seat, fat rear tire and wheel from an '81 (If memory serves me right), new spark plugs, oil filter, etc. I've done quite a bit of cleaning and it looks like it'll be a simple rebuild.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can expect to get for it? Keeping in mind I'd rather sell it in one shot rather than spending the time on listing all the parts individually on ebay.

Thanks a bunch!

there is a magazine called Vintage Motorcycle that has a really great rating system. I think i know where i can get my hands on one, and will try to check it out for you tonight.

there is a magazine called Vintage Motorcycle that has a really great rating system. I think i know where i can get my hands on one, and will try to check it out for you tonight.

the book gives it at about 500 bucks as a parts bike, which yours would technically be since its totally reassembled. you could get more for it if you put it back together.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch!

Pity you're not in the uk, I'd have chewed you're arm off.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, first let me say thanks for the replies. Then let me say I'm sorry it’s been nearly a month since I replied! I thought I had my settings on to email me when someone posted a reply...never got one. Was kinda wondering why nobody (I thought) had any input on this!

jrhendryx, if I could get $500 for it, I'd be very happy with that, even with the extra parts I've purchased so far and the work I've done on it. I think that's pretty fair too.

So I guess the question would be where/how do I sell it. I don't think craigslist and/or ebay is going to bring what I'm looking for. But please, by all means, correct me if I am off base here!

ianxjr, sorry to disappoint!

Thanks!

DAN

OK, first let me say thanks for the replies. Then let me say I'm sorry it’s been nearly a month since I replied! I thought I had my settings on to email me when someone posted a reply...never got one. Was kinda wondering why nobody (I thought) had any input on this!

jrhendryx, if I could get $500 for it, I'd be very happy with that, even with the extra parts I've purchased so far and the work I've done on it. I think that's pretty fair too.

So I guess the question would be where/how do I sell it. I don't think craigslist and/or ebay is going to bring what I'm looking for. But please, by all means, correct me if I am off base here!

ianxjr, sorry to disappoint!

Thanks!

DAN

Craigslist wouldn't be a bad place - don't have to sell it. Never know what you might get. Since it is ready to be shipped, in a way, you may try listing it in other big cities around the country.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online