Buying a 2nd hand R1 - what to look for?

tenacious
This post is 6003 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer to this site and would just like to take the opportunity to say hello and congrats on the great website. I'm not a Yamaha Owner (yet) but I am looking to take delivery of a Yamaha R1 in the next couple of weeks. The one in particular I have my eye on is a 98 Model with 40,000kms, and I just looking to do a mechanical inspection before I take it home. My question is what sort of things should I be looking for with regards to this model i.e. were there any major / minor faults that plagued this model, or is there any particular part of this bike I should pay particular attention to, and if so, what should I be looking for?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A friend and I will be doing the exact same thing very soon. As far as I'm aware, there was no real issues with these bikes so it will probably just be the usual checks like head bearings, excess corrosion etc. Also just make sure it hasn't been raced.

Yep i agree with Willenium check the head stock bearing as these bikes are prone to being on the back wheel and theres nothing that says the last owner knew how to put the wheel back down gently! Do the usual check for knocks bangs and rattles, check the condition of the chain/sprockets/tyres if there worn make sure you get something off the price,if possible leave a deposit and take it on a test drive and use plenty of gear changes making sure all gears engage properly, also check for scrapes in places like the bar ands and levers as thats a sure sign its been dropped...Dont nesserly buy the first bike you see theres loads out there and its a buyers market...Good Luck and enjoy ;)

Mick I've been meaning to ask. What sort money would pick up a 98-00 R1? My friend loves his Hondas but I've got him wanting an early R1 now. We're not sure what sort of budget we'd need to get one. Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ;)

It depends on when you are thinking on buying one mate, if you wait until the begining of next summer expect to pay between £2800-3500 :blink: If you have the cash to buy one now you could pick a nice one up for as little as £2000 its the end of season buyers market out there so go for it if you can :thumb:

It depends on when you are thinking on buying one mate, if you wait until the begining of next summer expect to pay between £2800-3500 :blink: If you have the cash to buy one now you could pick a nice one up for as little as £2000 its the end of season buyers market out there so go for it if you can :thumb:

Cheers dude ;)

We'll be looking for one around the end of the month or sometime into next month.

Wether you buy a Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, or even a Kawasaki. These Japanese bikes are just about bullet proof. Unless they've been totaled out even ones with high miles seem to be okay.

My buddy sold a high mileage R1 not too long ago. And he rode the living crap out of the bike for 6months. Wheelies everywhere, running 180mph when he got a chance and taking to our mountains hardcore. He later sold it for a decent price. Which the guy who bought it was an idiot who did not need to be on an R6 much less an R1.

The only problem we got out of the R1 is in the middle of a wheelie his left footpeg broke off. But that's his fault more than anything becuase he spent 50% of his riding time on one wheel. Which he could take it down gently.

But motor, transmission, eletrical, brakes, etc seemed to be strong. And I don't see many more riders abusing the bike more than this guy. So as long as the guy changed the oil regularlly it should be fine.