XS400 Electric - Won't get spark

bralkan
This post is 6017 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright, so I replace the coils. It fires right up. Next day, no spark.

Coils still test ok, so I replace the pickup. Fires right up. 3 days later, no spark.

Next step is to start going through the wiring (i've already cleaned all the contacts / sprayed them) and actually replace it, I guess.

Any ideas?!?!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Coils still test ok, so I replace the pickup. Fires right up. 3 days later, no spark.

Next step is to start going through the wiring (i've already cleaned all the contacts / sprayed them) and actually replace it, I guess.

Any ideas?!?!

You have loose joints in the electrical harness and when you move it, the joints make and break.

Any ideas?!?!

Alright, I can't get this thing to spark at all. It is a TCi ignition and I'm thinking I want to put a POINTS system in because that is really the point I'm at. The TCi system has been replaced and it still won't spark the coils. Battery is fine, wiring is ok.

So the question: How hard would it be to convert to POINTS and will the xs650 parts from mikexs work or do I need to look on ebay for xs400 POINTS systems? Thanks.

Alright, I can't get this thing to spark at all. It is a TCi ignition and I'm thinking I want to put a POINTS system in because that is really the point I'm at. The TCi system has been replaced and it still won't spark the coils. Battery is fine, wiring is ok.

So the question: How hard would it be to convert to POINTS and will the xs650 parts from mikexs work or do I need to look on ebay for xs400 POINTS systems? Thanks.

why not try a newtronic system, they replace the pickup and the TCi box. just need to make sure you have a good 12volts.

they have been taken over but I can't remember the new name.

I would stick with the electronic as I have found the 1980 system to be pretty reliable as long as you have good connection. I did have to replace my fuse box as it was no longer making good enough contact. I replaced it with a unit I found on ebay that uses blade fuses (more reliable) and so far things have been just fine. Having had both points and electronic on a bike, I prefer the electronic hands down. Except for the fuse box, my bike sat for 13 years and when I replace the fuse box and prepped it (you know, fresh oil, filter, gas plugs etc) it actually started right up (no I didn't even have to clean the carbs since I made sure everything was drain before it sat). I did have to replace the vacuum pistons thought, as they had pinholes in them. My bike has 42000 miles on it (I'm the second owner) and while I have had to do a bit of restorall work, it's getting to the point of being nice again. The drum brakes are sure hard to find shoes for though. The rear is still stocked by yamaha, but the front isn't any more. If you find parts that are consumables on these bikes make sure to get extras if possible.

I would stick with the electronic as I have found the 1980 system to be pretty reliable as long as you have good connection. I did have to replace my fuse box as it was no longer making good enough contact. I replaced it with a unit I found on ebay that uses blade fuses (more reliable) and so far things have been just fine. Having had both points and electronic on a bike, I prefer the electronic hands down. Except for the fuse box, my bike sat for 13 years and when I replace the fuse box and prepped it (you know, fresh oil, filter, gas plugs etc) it actually started right up (no I didn't even have to clean the carbs since I made sure everything was drain before it sat). I did have to replace the vacuum pistons thought, as they had pinholes in them. My bike has 42000 miles on it (I'm the second owner) and while I have had to do a bit of restorall work, it's getting to the point of being nice again. The drum brakes are sure hard to find shoes for though. The rear is still stocked by yamaha, but the front isn't any more. If you find parts that are consumables on these bikes make sure to get extras if possible.

The wiring in mine is a bit, well, custom. I'm not sure what the guy who had it before me did to it. The stock fuse box is not there and it uses some kind of in-line cap style for the fuses.

You're basically telling me to replace the fuse box, then? Someone mentioned fuses earlier, but would that go in line with works, dies - I replace coils, works and dies - I replace pickup trigger, works and dies ?

Its been sitting at the shop more than in my garage. I knew nothing about bikes when I got it (it was a gift) and I've come some way, but I think I want to start getting my hands dirty.

Oh, the mechanic at the shop said something about a "black box under the engine" that is a part of the TCI system - what is he talking about? CDI maybe? Or do I need to just tell them I'm broke and bring the bike home?

PS - I was thinking "downgrading" to points because it woudl be cheaper. I'd like to keep the TCI system if I can, but it has been crapping on me left and right and I really want to get this bike to stay sparking.

The wiring in mine is a bit, well, custom. I'm not sure what the guy who had it before me did to it. The stock fuse box is not there and it uses some kind of in-line cap style for the fuses.

You're basically telling me to replace the fuse box, then? Someone mentioned fuses earlier, but would that go in line with works, dies - I replace coils, works and dies - I replace pickup trigger, works and dies ?

Its been sitting at the shop more than in my garage. I knew nothing about bikes when I got it (it was a gift) and I've come some way, but I think I want to start getting my hands dirty.

Oh, the mechanic at the shop said something about a "black box under the engine" that is a part of the TCI system - what is he talking about? CDI maybe? Or do I need to just tell them I'm broke and bring the bike home?

PS - I was thinking "downgrading" to points because it woudl be cheaper. I'd like to keep the TCI system if I can, but it has been crapping on me left and right and I really want to get this bike to stay sparking.

maybe this might be the trouble.

http://www.xs11.com/tips/repair/repair8.shtml

have a look around the site as many issues are common to each model

maybe this might be the trouble.

http://www.xs11.com/tips/repair/repair8.shtml

have a look around the site as many issues are common to each model

I'm going to take a look around there. I am picking up the bike monday from the shop. I plan on doing the rest of the work myself (as much as I can anyways). I will check that.

I did decide that I am going to replace the CDI "black box."

I have a question - will the high performance coils for TCi ignitions for the xs650 work for the xs400? Part #17-6803 at mikesxs.com

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online