Advice on a YZ125 for a first bike!

sxsam
This post is 6015 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone, im new to this!

Looking at getting my first crosser in the next couple of weeks, ive narrowed it down to a YZ125 or KM125, just need some advice please!

Im looking at either a 2001 or 2002 YZ125, got around £1300 to spend, which should get me an ok one from the looks of things!

Just a couple of things, reading some reviews ive noticed that the 2001 has a 6 speed box and 2002 has a 5 speed box, which one is better?

Is there anything to look for when buying and is the 2002 going to be alot better than the 2001?

Thanks, Sam :D

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello everyone, im new to this!

Looking at getting my first crosser in the next couple of weeks, ive narrowed it down to a YZ125 or KM125, just need some advice please!

Im looking at either a 2001 or 2002 YZ125, got around £1300 to spend, which should get me an ok one from the looks of things!

Just a couple of things, reading some reviews ive noticed that the 2001 has a 6 speed box and 2002 has a 5 speed box, which one is better?

Is there anything to look for when buying and is the 2002 going to be alot better than the 2001?

Thanks, Sam :D

Put it this way, when the 2002 came out everyone was trying to buy old stock 2001's because the 5 speed box ratios were all over the place.

I think in '03 they went back to a 6 speed box so that says it all really.

But if your only having a play around then I should'nt think it's going to matter really, you may be able to get some good setings just from changing sprockets about a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont no if this is true i got told that if you got a 5 speed box that you get more speed out of all the other gears

The gears will likely be longer meaning you're bogging down more easily. Trick is to keep it on the gas all the time and try to keep momentum.

totally crap as a first bike, they need revvin. they need lots of maintenance. easy too stal. useless unless your very confident, very peaky power- this means they have what is known as as a sharp power band (the power suddenly hits) if you drop out of this band, the bike has very low power.

something like an ttr250 is a much better choice ..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online