Yamaha Virago Blowing main fuse

cdy34
This post is 6070 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have a 1996 250 Virago, it will run for a few mins but when it warms up or reaches higher revs it blows the main fuse, I replaced the rectifier/regulator unit, the one with the heat shrink on it, but the problem remains, if I replace the fuse it will blow again straight away, but if I leave for a while it will start again, I'm running out of fuses!!! Any ideas? Thanks, Colm.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest Brian Bonner

thats because it's a cheap piece of garbage. ;) You shoulda bought a Harley.

At least I haven't seen a metric bike that had a plastic POS shifter linkage like a Harley has. I'd rather have a plastic bike with good parts on it rather than a steel rustbucket with inferior parts.

Hi, I have a 1996 250 Virago, it will run for a few mins but when it warms up or reaches higher revs it blows the main fuse, I replaced the rectifier/regulator unit, the one with the heat shrink on it, but the problem remains, if I replace the fuse it will blow again straight away, but if I leave for a while it will start again, I'm running out of fuses!!! Any ideas? Thanks, Colm.

Electrics ahhhh keep me away.....

Simple thing is check all your connections and wires, make sure none of the wires are bare or burnt.

Might take a bit of digging to get to all the wires buts at least you'll know its not them thats the problem.

Im crap with anything electric on the bike, so im probably the last person to listen to...

Best of luck with it..

It is possible that part of the wiring loom is shorting out on the frame or engine. The wiring might be within the engine at a part that expands with heat. You should check that the battery is OK and all of the earths (grounds) are in good condition.

You do not state which fuse or on which circuit it is. Something is drawing too much current.

i agree really, check all wires for any shorting or bare wires etc, also check your grounding to your frame. an incorrect ground can make a lot of diference. bes tof luck wiht it, let us know how you get on with it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online