Wheelie trouble

yzfsammy
This post is 6069 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, this question has been floating round me head for a while, i realy struggle to get my front wheel up (01 yzf r1) when i bought the bike the forks had been raised through the yokes, of the top of my head by mabey 20-25mm, would this change in geomitry afect the bikes willingness to come up?

The chances are this is my crazy imagination, but if anyone has either experience or a clue on the matter it would be good to have a chat

Thanks Sam :P:ph34r::headscratch:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sammy

Never had any troubles me-sen mate, the bikes that bloody light it is hard to keep on the floor half the time. But I have got to admit my last bike was an XJR1300 and before that a BMW Rockster (nightmare conditions - I will never own another BM) and before that an old Suzuki GS 750. So as I could blip them up anything less than a flying brick should be easy.

Yes the geometry would be out but the effect in reality would probably be very minimal i.e an extra degree on the twist grip.

Have you done much of this type of stuff before, because if you havent it is a learnt skill and often costs people a hell of a lot of money.

My method is to get the bike rolling at around 5-10mph and then dip the throttle (so your bike rocks forward) then power up cautiously, as soon as you get to the point where your front end is lifting be ready to throttle off slightly (or you will end up with a face full of tank n lid).

If this aint working mate slide your self backwards on the seat, so that more of your weight is to the back of the bike, this would make things interesting; this has got to work because your removing more weight from the front therefore turning it into a wheely beast.

Get out there and get on with it - but be carefull mate, like I said earlier "if it goes wrong - it gets exciting and expensive all at the same time"

Dont know what you weigh mate but im 5'9" @ 17.5 to 18 stone, and its easy as soon as you get over the "OH SHIT ITS THE SKY" bit.

Hope this helps mate

The Dirtmonster

Are you running on only 1 piston? The R1s main downfall is they made the front end so light that they wheelie too much.

You should be able to put it in the air at 100mph/160kph no matter how your forks are. My buddy has had it in the air at 140mph/225kph. And the one time I rode it I wheelied it just getting on the gas gently and leaning forward.

And whatever you do don't wheelie in first. To short of a gear with too much TQ.

If this helps here are some videos of my buddy doing wheelies on his R1. He normally clutches it once he gets around 100kph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_vMhyaZwU0

Is this R1 your first bike?

Hi there, ive been riding for a few years, ive had an R6, fz6, wr450f,02 r1, and now this one but ive always been of more the fast road rider rather than a stunter!

By the looks of it i think im just being a PU*SY with it, time to grow sum balls i guess, engine cage, 12 bar, wrap all the fairings in cotten wool and store them in the shed, so it will only be me that gets FU*KED when it all goes wrong!

:wacko::ninja::lipseal::ambulance::luck::beerchug: HA HA HA WISH ME LUCK

Sam

Yeah. You do have to clutch it at a certain point if you want to do a good balance wheelie which is where it's at. You can also put it in 2nd and just blip the throttle so your bike comes up then goes down compressing the suspension then when it compresses and starts to raise hit the gas.

It sucks getting use to bringing the wheel up. I still have trouble. My buddy from the vids learned to control his wheelies by buying a Yamaha Blaster ATV for cheap.

T shirt and shorts on public roads? He'll learn.....probably the hard way!

Well he doesn't have the bike anymore. He had to sell it to get some cash. Sold it to some guy who I think has never ridden a cycle either. So I doubt that bike will be with us much longer.

Which he is crazy and doesn't care about anything really. He does have a jacket but only wears it on long rides. That was really close to his house and really spur of the moment.

But in the two years he has had the bike (CBR600 before that R1 second) he has never dropped it except doing a donut. And he rides so hard that up at Deals Gap bikers had told him he is riding too fast. Plus he is the luckiest bastard I know.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online