Newbie track day

This post is 6136 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I am thinking of doing a novice track day, the legal way to enjoy the full power of the bike (makes a change!) B)

Those of you that have already done this, can you share some wisdom/advice for me (and the bike) on track riding? I suspect my brakes and tyres will be shot after the event, should I do anything to the bike (out of the norm) before riding?

I was thinking of going to Snetterton circuit (2 weeks time), unless people can suggest a better circuit :question:

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ahh this sounds a very similar story to myself! My mates and i were considering taking our bikes (my R6, mates: ZX6R and GSXR750) to snetterton for a novice day for the experience and to enjoy the bikes potential safely.

The problem was that there is an overwhelming fear of having to pick the bike out of the gravel with tears streaming as you realised that you've just buggered up your pride and joy and that you now have to get home!

I am aware you only risk it if you push it but any advise anyone could shed would also be appreciated by me too!!!

Thanks!

:D

my other half road mine on the track 2 weeks age and was cut up going round a bend and was put into the gravel at 80mph bike was ok but need some new fairings so be aware if you ride it there you need to be carfull as you would need to get home. we do our track days at donnington and they are very good

oh make sure you have gooood crash mushrooms as they saved the bike. would have been 4 times as bad as they tiik most of the floor impact

I would love to do a novice track day but there isn'y any tracks on the isle of wight, do any of you know any decent tracks in hampshire or there abouts?

Cheers :)

When I was looking I phoned Thruxton but they don't do bikes :(

So if we are to do it then, use someone elses bike and watch out for people cutting you up! hmmmm right whats the phone number for the bike hire! lol

.........yellow pages..................lol

:lol:

So if we are to do it then, use someone elses bike and watch out for people cutting you up! hmmmm right whats the phone number for the bike hire! lol

.........yellow pages..................lol

:lol:

Yep, or get a used and abused 2nd hand, rebuild where required and then you've still got the pride and joy for normal road use.

Or, make sure your the fastest on the track :D

Some track days allow hire of bikes with £500 deposit (any mark and you've lost it), could be cheaper if you want to go to the extreme.

Yeah thats not a bad idea the only problem is ive just bought a new car so buying a track bike at the minute is only a pipe dream.

Will come one day tho!

I think i might have to hunt for a place that does bike hire for snetterton as it takes some of the worry away and lets you enjoy the time more!

Anyone know of anyone that hires 04 spec R6's! lol

• 3 weeks later...

I have been thinking about this also but with the risks I fear being greater than taking a car on the track I will look to pick up a cheap bike for track fun maybe next summer.

the easiest way(and by far the cheapest) to getting on track is to get ten of ya mates to all bung in 100 quid,,,by a repairable R1 or R6 or whatever floats ya boat,,,the benefits to this are amazing as not only you but ya ten mates all have use of a trk day bike,,,,any crashes are sorted quicker,,with so many heads and hands available,,,getting the bike to the venue is usually no prob as someone will have a van or knows someone that does,,,and the wealth of info from ten poeple on setting up a machine for track use means your less likely to get it wrong,,,not only that,,,there will always be someone who is free and wants to come along,,,,believe me,,, it works,,,and dosent cost us a fortune either,,,,,,enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note .....

I have been told that if you are an experienced rider (off the track) then DONT go in the novice section. It full of those riders who havent the experience to know what lines to take and where/when to overtake and they are not experienced enough to know how fast they are going into/out of corners ect and end up knocking others off or colliding .... so, go into the intermediate and tell them you have done a track day before :) The intermediates know what they are doing and which lines to take ect .... it doesnt matter if you are slower ect - they know how to overtake you and where to overtake ect .... and so you have less chance of something going wrong and maybe causing an offie. I have been told this by a few people who have done track days. Most of all have fun and enjoy it.

Sorry to pee on yer chips mate but that is in the most part complete and utter bollox.

If you go into the inters group and are holding up the genuine inters you will be put down into the novice group anyway.

From what I have seen on my trackdays, if you are in the novice group and are considered good/quick/safe enough to be in Inters you will be asked if you would move up.

I would recommend that you put in for novice on your very first outing, and if you feel on the day after your first session or two that you have picked the wrong group for your ability, talk to the organisers and see if they can move you into a different group.

I am thinking of going to the haslam race school at donnington

http://www.haslamraceschool.com/

Not cheap but you get to use their bikes and get taught by a pro.

Probably going to be next year though now because of fund limitations :rolleyes:

Although the money is being spent riding over to Valencia in november for the Moto GP so I guess that makes up for it :D

I am thinking of going to the haslam race school at donnington

http://www.haslamraceschool.com/

Not cheap but you get to use their bikes and get taught by a pro.

Probably going to be next year though now because of fund limitations :rolleyes:

Although the money is being spent riding over to Valencia in november for the Moto GP so I guess that makes up for it :D

It does come highly recommened, I have no cash for this year and its quite full (well for the dry months). The increased cost is offset by the use of their bike, which also puts everyone on a level :) If you are fast then it's at least nothing to do with the bike :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online