xs400 carbs

screamnz
This post is 6045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just purchased an 1977 xs400 for $75. Over all it is in good shape, except the carbs. The last time it was on the road was in 2003. The owner pulled off the carbs and put them on the shelf until now. The carbs are frozen, I cant get the butterfly valves lose. I have been looking for a new set of carbs, but all I can find are carbs for the xs650's. Does any one know if these will work on a 400? Also I would like if possible to switch from CV carbs to slide carbs. Does anyone know if the RD carbs will fit?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just purchased an 1977 xs400 for $75. Over all it is in good shape, except the carbs. The last time it was on the road was in 2003. The owner pulled off the carbs and put them on the shelf until now. The carbs are frozen, I cant get the butterfly valves lose. I have been looking for a new set of carbs, but all I can find are carbs for the xs650's. Does any one know if these will work on a 400? Also I would like if possible to switch from CV carbs to slide carbs. Does anyone know if the RD carbs will fit?

any 34mm carbs should fit except 2 stroke ones (i think they are designed different due to the 2 stroke oil, but don't quote me on this)

need to put on a dyno afterwards to get the fueling curve right

• 3 weeks later...

The carbs from the '80 and up xs650s are Mikuni BS34mm CV carbs and they are jetted the same as the xs400 carbs, at least from what I've seen. Go to a yamaha oem parts site and look up the carbs for your bike and the carbs from the bike youare getting and compare the specs just to make sure. The xs400 had three or four variations on the mikuni BS34mm CV carbs.

• 4 months later...

what about the spacing for the inlets?

i've heard the exhuast between the two is interchangable as well.

can anyone confirm that?

what about the spacing for the inlets?

i've heard the exhuast between the two is interchangable as well.

can anyone confirm that?

the exhausts are different on the 650 as they splay out a la triumph.

you will need to rejet a 650 carb or you will be overfuelling because of the extra CC's of the 650