What bike is this?

Bhodi513
This post is 6186 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just found an old Yamaha (I think its an xs650) that I salvaged the spoke wheels off of for my SR500. The thing that is throwing me off on wondering if its an XS650 is that the right front caliper is mounted to the front of the fork. Heres the serial number:

447-111670

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Bhodi513.

I'm not an expert in old Yamahas but the XS 650 had calipers mounted behind the forks, two of them!

There is a possibility that I've only got to see the later models and previous models may have been single discs mounted in front as this was the configuration on some other models in the late 70's when front drum brakes were replaced by hydraulic discs and cast wheels. I think the XS650 retained spoked wheels though. So you could be right......

Just an opinion.

Bee Pee

I just found an old Yamaha (I think its an xs650) that I salvaged the spoke wheels off of for my SR500. The thing that is throwing me off on wondering if its an XS650 is that the right front caliper is mounted to the front of the fork. Heres the serial number:

447-111670

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

the engine number indicates an xs650b '74 to 1975 but these had calipers behind the fork leg.

The earlier 1972 XS2 had their caliper fitted at the front on the right side (viewed sitting on the bike) a swapped front end due to a collision could have happened in the past.

the engine number indicates an xs650b '74 to 1975 but these had calipers behind the fork leg.

The earlier 1972 XS2 had their caliper fitted at the front on the right side (viewed sitting on the bike) a swapped front end due to a collision could have happened in the past.

That would make sense because the guy at the junk yard said he used to drive it. I appreciate the help. I was starting to worry I had bought the wrong wheels.

Aaron