1977 xs400 kick only

bonechop113
This post is 6156 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, new to the site. Just wondering if any of you nice folks here could help me out. I am building a cafe racer out of a 77 xs400 and wondered if anyone could help me out with wiring it up for kick only application. I have all of the stock components, and the bike runs well using them. Anyone got some diagrams or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does the XS have a seperate starter motor or is it built, if it has seperate motor remove it and fit a blanking plate

remove/hide associated wiring maybe a RD400 right hand bar switch may fit and does not have a starter button

Merv

Hello all, new to the site. Just wondering if any of you nice folks here could help me out. I am building a cafe racer out of a 77 xs400 and wondered if anyone could help me out with wiring it up for kick only application. I have all of the stock components, and the bike runs well using them. Anyone got some diagrams or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Take out the starter motor and chain (saves a few LBS) as the xs already has kick start, you don't really need to do anything else!

If you're really finicky you can take off the starter solinoid from under the seat. As Merv said you coud use an rd right hand switch gear and polish up the casings as they are alloy!!

Take out the starter motor and chain (saves a few LBS) as the xs already has kick start, you don't really need to do anything else!

If you're really finicky you can take off the starter solinoid from under the seat. As Merv said you coud use an rd right hand switch gear and polish up the casings as they are alloy!!

Thanks for the replies fellas. So, i want as little wiring as possible, but what do i need to run the bike without a battery? I will need to wire the regulator from the alternator and use the condenser right? I will not be using the wiring harness anymore, I will be making my own because there will not be alot to wire up and i will be running some of it internal. Thanks again

Thanks for the replies fellas. So, i want as little wiring as possible, but what do i need to run the bike without a battery? I will need to wire the regulator from the alternator and use the condenser right? I will not be using the wiring harness anymore, I will be making my own because there will not be alot to wire up and i will be running some of it internal. Thanks again

the charging system needs a 12v supply to work.

here is a wiring diagram

xs400D_circuit_diagram.jpg

could try this

http://www.zeeltronic.com/page/bat_elim.php

let me know if it works

Thanks..

Will something like this work?

battery eliminator

why don't you ask the vendor, its that the xs400 needs 12v for the charging,it may have enough in the capacitor to start the process.

• 2 months later...

Hello forum members!

I'm new here and recently started riding an '81 xs400 special II. (my first bike!!)

I'm pretty new to this but it was running rough so I checked around the bike cleaned out some of the jets I could get to in the carbs, and then discovered the air filters had holes and were various shades of brown/black.

Instead of replacing them with stock air filters, I was thinking of ditching them for some K&N's and also replacing the battery with a battery eliminator. (since it's kick start anyways, my electric starter is busted, and that'd lighten it).

What do you guys think? Does anyone know of K&N's that fit XS400 carbs? Also, has anyone had experience with battery eliminators?

Thank You!

Peter

Hello forum members!

I'm new here and recently started riding an '81 xs400 special II. (my first bike!!)

I'm pretty new to this but it was running rough so I checked around the bike cleaned out some of the jets I could get to in the carbs, and then discovered the air filters had holes and were various shades of brown/black.

Instead of replacing them with stock air filters, I was thinking of ditching them for some K&N's and also replacing the battery with a battery eliminator. (since it's kick start anyways, my electric starter is busted, and that'd lighten it).

What do you guys think? Does anyone know of K&N's that fit XS400 carbs? Also, has anyone had experience with battery eliminators?

Thank You!

Peter

some thing like this Item number: 170122928169 will fit, but i don't know about the jetting.

Why don't you buy an eliminator and tell us if they work ;)

some thing like this Item number: 170122928169 will fit, but i don't know about the jetting.

Why don't you buy an eliminator and tell us if they work ;)

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I looked up the part number and found it on ebay, I guess it's 48mm? I don't know about the jetting either...

Looks like I'll be going stock for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Peter