Painting over chrome

drewpy
This post is 6311 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guy's and Gals,

I have stripped my rear shocks down and took the chromy bits to be re-chromed, but alas they won't touch my dampers (ooo missus!). :D

The chrome has rubbed off in places and has anyone got an opinion as to the best way to either remove the chrome without destroying the seals inside or the safer way, to paint over it.

I am mindful of the fact that paint does come off easily on chrome items (looking at rat bikes)

I have german market shocks so they are all chrome whereas the brit yams have black satin finish on just the dampers.

cheers in advance

Drewpy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you are going to paint them make sure that you rough the chrome up so that your primer will "cut" into it giving it a good foothold and hopefully making sure it doesn't come off. If you want to re-chrome it you will have to strip all of the old chrome of using grit blasting as most chromer's wont even attempt it.

Regards

If you are going to paint them make sure that you rough the chrome up so that your primer will "cut" into it giving it a good foothold and hopefully making sure it doesn't come off. If you want to re-chrome it you will have to strip all of the old chrome of using grit blasting as most chromer's wont even attempt it.

Regards

Cheers robbie

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online