What do I need to lube and how do I do it?

Jerka
This post is 6437 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just got a 1979 XS400F and I am trying to do some general maintenance. I changed the oil, oil filter, and plugs and tightened every nut and bolt I could find. Now for my questions about lubing:

What do I need to lube?

How do you lube it? - Specifically, the cables.

How often should I lube it?

The bike seems to be running well so I don't really want to mess with it too much, but are there any other general maintenace procedures that I should look into? Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just got a 1979 XS400F and I am trying to do some general maintenance. I changed the oil, oil filter, and plugs and tightened every nut and bolt I could find. Now for my questions about lubing:

What do I need to lube?

How do you lube it? - Specifically, the cables.

How often should I lube it?

The bike seems to be running well so I don't really want to mess with it too much, but are there any other general maintenace procedures that I should look into? Thanks.

chain weekly and after rain use

cables annually/3000miles

i spray ACF (wd40 but better) on plastics (except side panels, rear seat and tank) carb bodies and any exposed alloy

hinges etc annually

steering bearings depends on tapered or original, usually 6000 miles

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online