Cleaning Up and Old Chrome Fender??

BrewTrooper
This post is 6442 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm cleaning up my 1981 XS400's front fender and I was looking for suggestions on how to treat the underside which has a nice layer of rust. (See photos via URL/link below):

Fender Photos

As you can see from the photos, the underside has a nice layer of rust that has formed. How would you recommend going about removing the rust and then treating/painting it after I do?

I plan on cleaning up the chrome with some stell wool. It has some pitting, but otherwise is in good shape considering... If anyone has other recommendations I'm all ears.

Thanks!!!!

BrewTrooper (a.k.a. Ken)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ken rub down the underside treat with some kind of rustkiller then paint with red oxide oir something then use stone chip protect paint the type of thing the use on the underside (sills just under doors etc ) do you have autosol chrome cleaner and polish available whree you live ? seems to do a great job. If yuo go out riding in the rain spray wd 40 on the chrome and it will stop the rust for a few days

merv

Thanks Mervin,

I'm not sure about the Autsol but I'll go check at the autoparts store. I'm going to use a chrome cleaner on the chrome, and use your suggestion on getting rid of the rust.

I really appreciate the advice!!

BrewTrooper (A.K.A. Ken)

I'm cleaning up my 1981 XS400's front fender and I was looking for suggestions on how to treat the underside which has a nice layer of rust. (See photos via URL/link below):

Fender Photos

As you can see from the photos, the underside has a nice layer of rust that has formed. How would you recommend going about removing the rust and then treating/painting it after I do?

I plan on cleaning up the chrome with some stell wool. It has some pitting, but otherwise is in good shape considering... If anyone has other recommendations I'm all ears.

Thanks!!!!

BrewTrooper (a.k.a. Ken)

I used silver hammerite on mine as it has rust inhibitors, must get most of the surface rust off though!!

I do not reccommend hammerite as a final coat it goes hard and chips off after a few weeks, if you use hammerite stone chip over it to protect the stuff but also i remember getting anyother paint to stick to hammetite is a pig of a job, honestly i used to think it was marvellous stuff but will not touch it any more now it is too hard and chips off too easily, plastikote or pj1 is far better

merv

I do not reccommend hammerite as a final coat it goes hard and chips off after a few weeks, if you use hammerite stone chip over it to protect the stuff but also i remember getting anyother paint to stick to hammetite is a pig of a job, honestly i used to think it was marvellous stuff but will not touch it any more now it is too hard and chips off too easily, plastikote or pj1 is far better

merv

I'll check mine in the winter strip down

I'll check mine in the winter strip down

i agree on the hammerite

brewtrooper have you tried getting quotes for bead blasting and powder coating.

just another idea.

Regards

Well, I took your advice and used rust killer and then applied an undercoating. It was much easier than I thought it would be, and it turned out great in my opinion. I have updated the photos with the finished fender (use link below):

Updated Fender Photos

The undercoating took almost 24 hours to dry completely - which is odd since the can says to let it dry "at least 10 minutes". Maybe I put on too thick of a coat, but it's dry now. It's pretty neat stuff. It's supposed to prevent rust and chipping and even dampen vibrations and sound.

:o There are a couple of close-up photos showing rust pitting on the chrome. From a few feet it's not really noticeable but it stands out when you are close up. Short of dipping, does anyone know of a way to minimize the pitting in the chrome????? I'm assuming that I'll have to live with it.

Thanks again for all your help. Please PM me if you want more details or have any questions.

BrewTrooper (a.k.a. Ken)

Unfortunate the pitting Ken not a lot you can do apart from getting it rechromed i think. there was a chromepowder coating system i saw pictures of not so long a go, Alloy engine castings coated to look like chrome

merv

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online