DT50MX complete restoration

GBDT50MX
This post is 2853 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, after working on my DT50 MX for a while I have discovered that the paint overall isn't in the condition I thought it to be. It was originally black by the looks of it but has had many coats of red applied by brush rather crudely and unprofessionally. Therefore I have decided to strip my bike down to the frame and respray it. This doesn't seem too hard, although I have never tried this before and was wondering if it could be done within a week? I hope in this time I can clean the bike up and make it look good as the day it came out the factory!

Any tips on doing this?

Regards

George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well George I did the XJ with a spray gun and "proper" paint, it took me 3 weeks what with primer - base coat and then several top coats, (see my XJ in vehicles) can you do it in a week? don't know but would guess not as each coat has to dry be flatted then do it all over again, my XJ had 18 coats of various paint over it and that took ages. Best bet for me next time stove enamel or dipping. If you spray your own bike 1/2 the paint misses the frame anyway. My advice, find a good painter who has a shop near you then prep the parts yourself to save some money and pass the work off to those that can.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online