Problem with speedometer/odometer? HELP!

scottiedee
This post is 2928 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I currently ride a 2008 yamaha stratoliner midnight 1900. Ever since I took out my bike this season, I've been getting 48-50 mpg which is crazy. Last year I averaged 42-44. I then noticed that my trip meter would always have more mileage on each ride than my riding buddys trip meters. We then compared speeds. At the same speed, my buddys speedometer AND GPS were both at 74mph while mine read 80mph. So I figured since my tires were overdue, that they might have been worn down too much and were affecting how the speedometer and odometer read the rpm's. Well, I have brand new tires on that baby and I still have the same problem. The only change since last year, I upgraded my muffler and got a louder slip on. Any help and tips would be great. Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just a quick question, are they the original size wheels and tyres? If someone has updated/uprated the wheels/tyres to larger ones that would give you a false MPH and MPG.

your speedo is ok, your friend speedo is broken. the speedo should show around 6-10% more speed that actually you have, depending of the tyres worn and other factors. I had an increase of fuel consumption when I cut the oxigen sensor on my bike. did you cut the oxigen sensor when you change your muffler?

your speedo is ok, your friend speedo is broken. the speedo should show around 6-10% more speed that actually you have, depending of the tyres worn and other factors. I had an increase of fuel consumption when I cut the oxigen sensor on my bike. did you cut the oxigen sensor when you change your muffler?

Well I don't think that's the case because he also has a tomtom gps that's reading speed independently from his bike and it's still the same. And no, it's just one of those quick slip on exhausts

Just a quick question, are they the original size wheels and tyres? If someone has updated/uprated the wheels/tyres to larger ones that would give you a false MPH and MPG.

That's another issue. Previous owner slapped on a low profile 200 rear tire (spec is 190). But still, last season I didn't have an issue, and just the other day I did a tire change and put all spec size tires on and I still have the same problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's another issue. Previous owner slapped on a low profile 200 rear tire (spec is 190). But still, last season I didn't have an issue, and just the other day I did a tire change and put all spec size tires on and I still have the same problem.

sorry, my english is crap, so I try again: your friend`s speedometer is broken. his speedometer should show more speed than the GPS, because the GPS show the real speed and a speedometer MUST show more speed than the real speed with 6-10%. is not your speedometer fault, they are come with this setup from factory. 

sorry, my english is crap, so I try again: your friend`s speedometer is broken. his speedometer should show more speed than the GPS, because the GPS show the real speed and a speedometer MUST show more speed than the real speed with 6-10%. is not your speedometer fault, they are come with this setup from factory. 

Well he rides a Victory, American made. You think that has anything to do with it?

the law is the same for all companies, I have doubts the law is different in US for speedometers. think about this: a new tyre  give you more speed/rotation than a warm tyre.  also the tyre pressure can modify your speed. there is also the human factor, you can try to ride with legal speed but you are not perfect so you may go faster with 1m/h. all those things can make you broke the speed law theoretically so, to be sure you are not in danger to do this, they set the speedo to show around 10% more speed than actually you have. that way you are not in danger to broke the law if you don`t want to do it. 

the law is the same for all companies, I have doubts the law is different in US for speedometers. think about this: a new tyre  give you more speed/rotation than a warm tyre.  also the tyre pressure can modify your speed. there is also the human factor, you can try to ride with legal speed but you are not perfect so you may go faster with 1m/h. all those things can make you broke the speed law theoretically so, to be sure you are not in danger to do this, they set the speedo to show around 10% more speed than actually you have. that way you are not in danger to broke the law if you don`t want to do it. 

Ok thanks for the helpful input!