XV1600 - Chattering noise at switch on

Carl297
This post is 3033 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I have an XV1600 I've just bought a couple of weeks back.  2001 model but just 11500 miles and great condition overall. 

MY QUESTION I've noticed a few times that when I first turn on the ignition, the needles / gauges 'set' as they should but there is a 'chattering' noise a bit like a relay rapidly dropping in and out from somewhere lower down on the bike.  It lasts only a second or so and quickly dies out.  The bike starts and runs fine thereafter. 

The battery is new and on an optimiser which suggests the battery is fully charged and holding its charge.

Any ideas?  Is this indicative of a problem?  Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Turn the ignition on with the Kill Switch off, then turn on the Kill switch, if you hear it at that point 99% its the fuel pump, my 650 does the same.

Just to say - did exactly as described and indeed the noise is immediately on engaging the kill switch.  An innocent fuel pump noise it is!!

Carl

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online