special markings on my bike?previously raced professionally?

peach1968
This post is 3211 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello :D i have just bought a 1990 yz 250 and it has some markings on it which i dont know what they mean :unsure: .

so just above and to the right of the 246cm3 badge on the barrel it has engraved (from the bottom up) PRO-AM and above that it has the letter G with a clearly engraved spanner then a P, above that it has the number 093 ? and at the very top of the barrel it has 68/68 on it.Also on the rear swingarm on the left side it has the markings M GOODING, maby the rider?  all of this coupled with the fact it has OHLIN true track front forks, aftermarket radiators which are so long it has a customised exhaust with a indent in it so the radiator doesn't touch! it all seems rarther strange if anyone knows anything about it it would be handy 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Peach, first things first, it's usual to say Hello in the new members section before you ask a "how do I fix my bike" question, having said that there are usually other signs that your bike has been raced professionally, the most obvious ones are that nearly all the bolts will have been drilled and wired to stop bits falling off of it during a race, if you look close do your nuts and bolts have drill holes in them? It should be pretty obvious and if they do that tells you that it almost certainly has been a track bike at some time in it's life. They are usually modded to the point that they are never a good road bike, cos they are cut and chopped to make the most of short sharp races and not long haul everyday riding, if your going to use it for an everyday ride then your going to need to fiddle with it on a regular basis (every day or so) cos they are real princesses and need lots of attention, hope some of that helps? I have no idea what the markings on the barrels mean but at a guess I would say that they are "specials" made to fit that bike only and would have cost an arm and a leg to produce, you might even find that you have the only one of it's kind and that on any bike is is not a good thing cos when you need to repair or replace anything it's going to be a one off.:shrug:

Did find this, it might be of use or not but it seems to be pointing in the right direction http://www.proamracing.com/site_map.html

Also found this for the M GOODING part of your question http://www.sump-publishing.co.uk/index.htm

Edited by slice

thanks for the info, some of the bolts have been drilled and some have been obviously replaced im going to be doing a full rebuild of the whole bike so i should find out more about the bike then. 

i will go and introduce myself now lol :unsure: 

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online