New Yamaha Owner's Club Member Here

BrewTrooper
This post is 6306 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was just given a 1981 XS400 Special II by my brother. It only has 2,300 miles on it.

The history behind the bike is rather interesting. It was purchased by a friend of my brother in 1986. At that time it was still in the crate. He rode it for less than two months and sold it to my brother. (They were both in the military and he got reassigned to another country and didn't want to take the bike with him.) My brother rode the bike to his home town, about 200 miles away. There it sat until he got it on the road again in 1994. He rode it the entire summer of '94. He subsequently lost the key and never rode it again, and now it's mine.

I'm pretty excited about it. The bike is in good condition overall, since it was stored in a garage the entire time, other than some minor rusting and a few scratches on the top of the gas tank that have just started to show signs of rust. I figure it needs a new battery and a new key made, which I will get very soon from my local Yamaha dealer.

I was hoping that I could get some advice from the folks here on what I should do to it before I try to start it. I'm planning on flushing the gas tank, lines and carbs, with fresh fuel. Do you think it's necessary that I get the carbs cleaned out before I try to start it? Also, I'm thinking I should change the oil, since I don't know how old it is, or if it has ever been changed; but with only 2300 miles on it, I'm not sure the oil ever needed to be changed.

The tires are holding pressure fine, but do you think I need to be concerned about their age? Unfortunately that last 11 years it was stored, it was not up on the bike rest, he had it just sitting using the kick stand and the tires went mostly flat (9 PSI).

Before I ride it, I'm going to check the brakes including the cables, along with the clutch cable. Is there anything else I should definitly check before I ride it, assuming I get it running? Do you recommend I take it to a shop for a quick inspection? I do plan on getting it inspected of course, but I'm talking about the initial test ride. :D

Also, can I use a normal car battery to test it, before buying a battery for it? They are both 12V, but I'm not sure if anything else matters.

I'm not a mechanic and haven't worked on engines in over 20 years, so please go easy on the motorhead terminiology...I want to be one, but I'm not one yet. :)

BTW: This is a great forum, and I can't believe great attitude and spirit of camaraderie here. I'm hoping I will have something to offer the community.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, and welcome.

The SOHC xs400(and xs250) models have their camshafts run in the alloy head. These need fresh 20/50 oil. You will need a new (Yam) oil filter to go with the oil.

Rubber perishes with age so you need new tyres and tubes

you can't use a car battery and ride it, a new battery is only £20 ($$?)

clean the air filters of spiders and dust, with compressed air

check timing

Clean out carbs

lube cables

spin up the engine with the spark plugs out to get the oil circulating first (And you can check for sparks at same time)

any probs post in the classic or workshop section

Drewpy

I was just given a 1981 XS400 Special II by my brother. It only has 2,300 miles on it.

The history behind the bike is rather interesting. It was purchased by a friend of my brother in 1986. At that time it was still in the crate. He rode it for less than two months and sold it to my brother. (They were both in the military and he got reassigned to another country and didn't want to take the bike with him.) My brother rode the bike to his home town, about 200 miles away. There it sat until he got it on the road again in 1994. He rode it the entire summer of '94. He subsequently lost the key and never rode it again, and now it's mine.

I'm pretty excited about it. The bike is in good condition overall, since it was stored in a garage the entire time, other than some minor rusting and a few scratches on the top of the gas tank that have just started to show signs of rust. I figure it needs a new battery and a new key made, which I will get very soon from my local Yamaha dealer.

I was hoping that I could get some advice from the folks here on what I should do to it before I try to start it. I'm planning on flushing the gas tank, lines and carbs, with fresh fuel. Do you think it's necessary that I get the carbs cleaned out before I try to start it? Also, I'm thinking I should change the oil, since I don't know how old it is, or if it has ever been changed; but with only 2300 miles on it, I'm not sure the oil ever needed to be changed.

The tires are holding pressure fine, but do you think I need to be concerned about their age? Unfortunately that last 11 years it was stored, it was not up on the bike rest, he had it just sitting using the kick stand and the tires went mostly flat (9 PSI).

Before I ride it, I'm going to check the brakes including the cables, along with the clutch cable. Is there anything else I should definitly check before I ride it, assuming I get it running? Do you recommend I take it to a shop for a quick inspection? I do plan on getting it inspected of course, but I'm talking about the initial test ride. :D

Also, can I use a normal car battery to test it, before buying a battery for it? They are both 12V, but I'm not sure if anything else matters.

I'm not a mechanic and haven't worked on engines in over 20 years, so please go easy on the motorhead terminiology...I want to be one, but I'm not one yet. :)

BTW: This is a great forum, and I can't believe great attitude and spirit of camaraderie here. I'm hoping I will have something to offer the community.

Hi brew one thing i recomend is that you take the spark plugs out and pour about 20 - 30 mls of oil down the

spark plug holes into the barrel this will give the top end some lube while the bike is being turned over for the first time plus if it was my bike even thow the oil has only done 2000 m's i would change it for sure ,Hope this helps you, Cheers Paul.

:welcome: to the forum Brew!

Sound advice from both previous members ;)

Another bit would be to lube those cables with silicone spray..(squirt it from 1 end into the cable housing)

Do this to the brake, clutch & especially the throttle cables.....it'll save ya some grief down the road ;)

A new battery shouldn't cost much over $30 (if that)....& tires can be found @ DennisKirk

I'm thinkin' those carbs should really be cleaned after sitting all those years.....but if you can't afford to have them serviced.......you could PM me sometime & I'll try & steer ya through it.....it's really NOT that difficult.....& it'll save ya @ least $100+ :thumb:

Best of luck with it......those are good little bikes.....I had a couple of 'em myself. ;)

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies and advice! From your sage advice, here is what I'm planning to do.

Since I want to make sure the engine is sound and works well before I put too much money or time into it, I plan on focusing on getting the engine running at minimal cost. To do this I will:

• Flush the gas tank and lines
  • Clean the carbs (I'm going to attempt this myself, but I'll get help quickly if I'm in unknown territory)
  • Clean the air filter
  • Change the oil (use 20/50) and oil filter
  • Pour some oil down the spark plug holes for each cylinder
  • Spin up the engine with the spark plugs out to get the oil circulating first (and check for sparks at same time)
  • Put the spark plugs back in, hook up my car battery to turn it over and hopefully it'll take off

Couple of questions regarding this though:

• Do I need to wait some time after I pour oil down the spark plug holes, to let the oil drip out of the combustion chamber?
  • Do I need to worry about checking the timing before I start it, or can that wait?
  • If it can't wait on checking the timing, any advice on where I get the procedure for checking the timing?

Any futher advice or critique on my plan of action is welcome, encouraged, and appreciated.

After I get it running and I'm certain that the engine is OK, I'm going to get a new battery, lube all the cables, get new tires and tubes, and look into touching up the paint on the gas tank. Then I'll focus on getting some miles put on that baby.

I'm pretty excited about this, and I think this is going to be a great hobby. Unfortunately I'm not sure how well this hobby compliments my other hobby - Hombrewing! :blink:

BTW: Is this post getting off topic for this forum?

Sounds like a pretty good plan ;)

You won't really know if that timing needs checking (I kinda doubt it) until it's running anyway. :)

However, you won't really be able to ride it with a Car battery (obviously :P ).....so a new battery might be the 1st thing on the agenda after cleaning those carbs in order to get it running properly.

BTW....NO this post is NOT getting off topic......but thanx for asking. :D

If your putting oil down the bores and spinning it over, watch for oil spraying out. It's just put a couple of squirts in, kick it over on the kickstart and leave to seep into the piston rings in case they are gummed up.

Then i'd start trying to start it after a couple of hours.

Your igintion timing might be electronic judging by the year, so it shouldn't be an issue unless its been tampered with or the cdi has gone AWOL.

Thanks again. I'll post again when I'm done. It will probably be about three weeks. That's unfortunate, since I'll be missing some great riding weather.

Any suggestions on where to get a service manual?

Thanks!

Thanks again. I'll post again when I'm done. It will probably be about three weeks. That's unfortunate, since I'll be missing some great riding weather.

Any suggestions on where to get a service manual?

Thanks!

Ebay, I got haynes. clymer and the official yamaha (the best)

The Supplimentary Manual was made in addition to the XS360.....so Yamaha didn't have to make a complete new manual for the 400.

I've got the same type for my RD400F.

If the model year is correct, it should have most of the info you'll need. ;)

Thanks Yamahead. I really appreciate the help. Hopefully I can help someone on this forum...instead of sponging all the information. ;)

If anyone has any computer problems, or needs advice; I've got 17 years of hands on experience I might be able to share with you. :lol:

Thanks Yamahead. I really appreciate the help. Hopefully I can help someone on this forum...instead of sponging all the information. ;)

If anyone has any computer problems, or needs advice; I've got 17 years of hands on experience I might be able to share with you. :lol:

this is the one i got

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FACTORY-SUP...1QQcmdZViewItem.

on ebay now. bit grubby but saves you trying to keep it clean ;)

Thanks Drewpy!!

Do you recommend it? Do you think it's worth it?

yep, its got loads more info than clymer and haynes (that's why I bought one, and got it from the states)

Is it worth it? it was for me and depends on how much your salary is! :lol:

there may be better examples out there (mine was new for instance)

Only $19 for a factory manual?.......That's pretty good even if it is used! ;)

Those things go for well over $50 new from a dealer! :blink:

I won the factory manual auction. I hope I get it soon. Hopefully I'll then have at least some knowledge backing up my amatuer mechanics. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Since you all helped me so much, I wanted to give you an update:

I was able to clean the carbs and BOY did they need it!!! Every single jet was totally clogged. I was able to complete all the other items on my list including getting a new battery. It wasn't easy or fast by any means but I learned much and now know the intricacies on how my bike operates.

Today I was able to start the bike, and tweak the carbs so that is idles correctly (many thanks and kudos to Yamahead for all of the PM help.) I was even able to ride the bike.

I want to thank everyone for their help, and now that I've leaned a few things I might now be able to lend some helpful advice.

BrewTrooper

• 6 months later...

Drewpy

Did you get the XS360 manual PLUS the Supplementary for XS400D - or does the XS360 / XS400 manual have enough info?

I think the supplementary is only 24 pages or so - so I wasn't sure how much more info I'd get.

Thanks

G

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online