Buying a Bike unseen

This post is 3230 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm a Newbie here and first time owning a Yamaha having had many other makes in many years of biking, I recently purchased a Yamaha Thundercat on E Bay from a bike shop in N. Ireland, which would come with a U.K. plate.  it seemed a good deal at the time,They didnt want me to use Debit ot Credit card,  Once the bank transfer was sent,  I was informed the bike would be delivered to my door, which it was a week later with a plate which I thought was the official plate, found out later it was a I.of Man plate and the dvlc dont recognise I of Man plates,  After I badgered them It was said the paperwork and request for a V5 and U.K. (aka English) plate. was sent about 3 weeks ago and as yet nothing has turned up, the shop's 5 day return warranty has been and gone but I had no chance of riding the bike because of having nothing legal i.e. tax, insurance, U.k. plate. It's been a hassle from start to now, So here I am still waiting,  bike stuck in garage,  wishing I'd stuck to buying a bike on these shores, p.s. And I always thought that N. Ireland and I. of Man were U.K. but when it get's legal apparently not!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you any paperwork which said it would come registered in the UK? If you do, and it didn't, you can reject the item using the sales of goods act. It doesn't matter about the 5 minute warranty they may have offered, it has to be "as described".

You can register it yourself and the process will depend on what paperwork you have and how old the bike is.

Don't forget to say hello in the new members section as people who do generally get better replies to their posts.

It should of sent alarm bells ringing when they refused a credit/debit card payment. If you pay by card you are protected, that's why they wouldn't take one. I hope you get it sorted. good luck.

Regardless where the bike is from it should still come with the relevant registration certificates, Be that IOM, NI or even continental.

I bought the FJ unseen from ebay in Brussels. Came with Belgian reg certs -->  MOT then apply for Brit reg. + V5.  All above board and happy days ever since.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online