Another Newb question... Rust?

Nathan0834
This post is 3504 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, Wanting to keep my bike in good nick, 1 for looks, but also knowing I will be selling in a years time once I Pass my full test.

Do you guys have any tips on cleaning off and preventing/slowing down rust?

Also, any other cleaning and upkeep tips would be appreciated :)

Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

One hidden rust to consider: your tank (provided it is metal and not plastic of course). Now 95 petrol comes with ethanol known for its hygroscopic properties (aka absorbs water from air and mixes with it) so if you do not use your bike often (like 1-2 months), the water will go to the bottom of the tank and it will start rusting. It happened to my previous Ducati and since I sold it and moved to the R6, I am only using premium petrol.

OK here are some basics. Rust is just metal and oxygen combined.

Some metals oxidise easily and then protect themselves

Some metals oxidise and just keep on going....

Iron oxidises easily.....so look after that..the more oxygen the more it oxidises...it really is a slow burn...

Chrome oxidises and then forms a protective barrier which doesn't oxidise easily....thats always about a quick clean and polish. Your forks rust because the chrome is usually really thin, wears away and the iron underneath oxidises.

Aluminium oxidises dead quick at the surface and then provides a protective layer....thats why is goes dull over time.

Stainless steel has lots of chrome and/or nickel in and doesn't oxidise..the clue is in the "stainless"

In order to protect the metals that will rust quick the answer is don't let oxygen get at it. (An iron nail will not rust in water that has been bolied for ages as there is no oxygen in it..did you not do that at school?)

So the answer is ... a thin wipe of oil or wd40 on exposed parts helps to protect them...or paint them...if you want to . Anything that stops the oxygen getting at them.

It is not the water that rusts it is the oxygen in the water.

Keep your forks clean..do not put oil on those as they don't need it...just keep them clean.

Hope that helps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online