DT125r 2002 - Oils

ZuluMikey
This post is 3590 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, Michael here i am new to bikes and have got myself DT125R and was wondering what would be the right oils to use.

I have got myself a Haynes manual which recommends a Yamaha air cooled 2T oil, however doesn't mention if it should be fully syntheic or not / premix so didn't know where to start.

I would also like the know about the Motor oil tank at the front of the bike and if this should be the same oil as the engine oil which is recommended SAE 10w30 SE.

Another note would be should i stick to the recommended oils or is there a better alternative?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi zulu " go to the page in manual that covers fluids & read it,,,the oil tank will be 2stroke tank ,, fill with semi-synth 2T,,

you wont need pre-mix , unless tank -pump have been disconected..

I have looked through the Haynes manual but theres no mention on the front oil tank, however the 2T tank is at the back of the bike, the motor oil tank is on the right hand side of the bike, radiator on the left.

You need to say hello in the new member section. People tend to respond better to posters who do.

As a 2 stroke you need 2 oils. (assuming everything is in place and working).

1) Motorcycle engine oil - this goes in the gearbox of the bike. Normally there is a cap to unscrew on the engine. Only use motorcycle oil (not car oil). You have the spec at 10/30. I like Guardian rock oil - others like other oil. This is like a car just keep it topped up to the correct level and change it once or twice a year.

2) 2 stroke oil - This oil is burnt with the petrol. Running a 2 stroke without this oil will kill it. Because it burns with the fuel it needs replenishing regularly. There will be a separate tank to put this oil in. I like Castrol Power 1 racing 2 stroke which is synthetic.

These oils are not interchangeable.

Some basic info.

Never run the bike without 2 stroke oil.

Never run the bike without the correct air filter in it (some need to be oiled).

Check that the bike is running with the correct air/fuel mix - this is normally done by checking the spark plug. Check the site for info on "Plug chop".

Don't mean to bring up the conversation again but i have been through a full read of the Haynes manual and there's gaps in it which i would like answered before putting the wrong oils in certain places.

1 tank at the rear of bike under left hand side panel - 2 Stroke?

Centre tank - petrol

Right hand side of engine - 10w30 or gearbox oil?

Right hand side of bike front opposite radiator - 10w30?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online