What price job satisfaction

jimmy
This post is 3613 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I posted this question earlier on another message board I visit. I received a number of replies but would like to see what our guys and girls think on here

As some of you may know I while away my working life working as a Sergt/Cox'n on a Police Launch on the Clyde. It is a job I find very enjoyable with different levels of challenges each time I slip my moorings. I seldom come home fed up with the job, which I hear from a lot of my land based colleagues. Anyway I have been invited to attend an interview at the end of this month with the prospect of promotion, if successful. This would mean leaving the Marine Unit and being confined to mainly driving a desk. I don't see much enjoyment in that.
So what price job satisfaction. On a basic monthly wage I would be slightly better off and with around 10 years til retirement I would get a slightly better pension, however in real terms I have not had a basic wage for a number of years so would in monthly real terms take a paycut for 2 - 3 years (although I would have my full quota of 'days off' each month). I will fully prepare for the interview and if successful, will make my decision then but anyone got any thoughts on this

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

stay happy is my mantra. do the things you love.

If you want money you'd work in a bank/desk job years ago.

• Like 1

One of the things I really envy.

People who do jobs they really love. My job pays the bills, if I could earn the same another way I would swap in a heartbeat. I turn up cos they pay me.

I would do what you love, no real money difference makes it even easier.10 years on the boat or a desk, hmmm. That choice may need 2 maybe 3 hundreths of a second.

• Like 2

With no real renumeration as incentive, as long as I was fit and healthy enough to do something I loved and get paid for it I'd keep the status quo. That said if my pension was coming up and it would make life 'nicer' I'd do the last few years behind a desk. Not sure about a whole decade though!

• Like 1

Aye jimmy, if you needed money , you cudda been on oil supply vessel or the like, be happy ,,, :elephant:

• Like 1

Jimmy, I can tell you from experience that leaving the road and taking to a desk is not for the faint of heart but and there is always a but you will regret not trying out a new job, I was promoted to the equivalent of your inspector and found that being in charge of the troops was much better than being one of the troops, and when i retired I had the extra bonus of the indexed linked pension at the higher rate than if I had stuck to the road, it may not seem important now but when it's your only income it really does make a difference. I wish you luck with the interview and hope your choice is the best one for you. Good luck mate.

• Like 2

Stick with the job you love and enjoy. It'll keep you mentally and physically happier than a desk job.

• Like 1

if the promotion would / could make you fedup, then i think you've answered your own question, prepare for the interview and when they ask you if you anything else to add, politely mention that you love what your doing and would prefer to remain afloat.

• Like 1

If you had 30 years until retirement I would say take the new job - if offered. With 10 years I would say sit tight and enjoy what you have. The only real reason to move is if the pension was considerably more (after tax and excluding the additional payments you would be making).

Mind you, at least I wouldn't have to feel envious every time you posted a picture of you chugging around in a boat with beautiful scenery behind you.

• Like 1

Well Jimmy I'd kill for your job (I realize that's not the way to get it) but seriously you have a fantastic job, great house, nice set up with your man cave, one of my all time favorite bike's (Bonnie) and a family that anyone would be proud of. I know you've heard it before but money isn't everything. I am now self employed and not always as well off as I was before but I am a lot happier, I couldn't go back to work for someone else now and don't think you would last 10 years behind a desk after the job you have, its your decision but I know what I'd do in your shoes. :jossun:

• Like 1

i work in a job i hate, i would take a pay cut for a job i like doing.

• Like 2

I was forced into my desk job after living the dream in the Army, then i was shoved infront of a PC at a light wood vinal desk drinking coffee from 0630-1630 monday to saturday just to pay the fat cats, i lothe my job and would change to some thing better if i could afford it but sadly the bill have to be paid.

you have a job that (as you can see) most folk would give a limb for, but un-less this new job has a a good bullshit to pay ratio stick with what you got. most desk jobs involve being anal raped with the blunt bit of a biro pen with no chance of a reach around.

Good luck with the interview but personally id stick with the job you love, yes money is great but you cant spend it in the grave.

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies folks, In the main they mirror my thoughts but as I have put myself through part 1 and 2 of the promotion process (I did this a few years ago, but then promotion stalled), I'll go for the interview and if successful I'll make my decision then

Jimmy I can say from experience that the thought of a "DESK" job is worse than the actual job, believe it or not I really enjoyed what I did both on and off the road but there comes a time when younger folks start looking like your kids and then it's time to use your experience to teach them how it should be done, we are the old farts they think, but what they forget is we used to be the young guns full of piss and vinager but time to tell others how your job should be done is never wasted even if your bolted to a desk. Again good luck at the interview and make the right choice for you. :jossun:

• Like 1

just remember tomorrow is the first day , of the rest of your life.. choose wisely ..

just remember tomorrow is the first day , of the rest of your life.. choose wisely ..

THE most inspirational thing that's come out of you Kev. Feeling ok?

I jest of course, ha ha! Lovely man...

For me Jimmy it would be no brainer mate , stay on the boat , do what you enjoy, stuck indoors you are gonna be like a caged animal, no doubt you enjoy interaction with different members of the public every day , you will not get so much of that stuck behind a desk, on the otehr hand now is the spring /summer co ing along and nice weather , that is something i always look forward to , when i worked on a farm being out in all weathers in the winter used to piss me off big time , and as you get older it does not get any easier , so consider how you feel on a day when it is pissing with rain /foggy /freezing in the winter into your decision as well , I would put up with the winter just for the summer , but thats me mate

• 3 weeks later...

Interview today and just received a telephone call. (un)Fortunately I was unsuccessful on this occasion so now there is no need to stress out over a decision