Break or fix ?

This post is 3709 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've got a DT 175 mx 1979, my woes are detailed elsewhere on the forum namely a holed piston. I'm really struggling with fixing this and got to thinking whether it appears worth all the hassle and maybe breaking it would realise more money than repairing it? As I see it the value of the parts is approx

Frame and engine, with v5,matching numbers but engine in bits -£100

Wheels, brand new rims, spokes and tyres -£60

Seat, new cover fitted-£30

Forks -£30

Tank, resprayed with new decals and lacquered- £50

Side panels, front mud guard, rear mud guard, repainted, lacquered, £40

Clocks £30

Lights, horn £30

Handlebars £10

And that's that! Not even £400, so repair it is then, surely a dt175 running or not is worth £600 ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

My DT twin shock, went through the same holed piston saga, I reckon the bike was probably running a bit too lean, I had to change the main brgs the big end small end and obviously a full gasket set, I stripped the motor but entrusted the crank split to a local bike shop who does a lot of DT mx engines for cart racing enthusiasts, I think it cost me £75 for crank strip and con-rod fitting, the rest I sourced for my self, anyhow its all fixed now, I suppose its all part of the fun of running a two stroke,

32146_3665599057403_1317136959_n.jpg

Obviously the piston on the right was the holed one, the one on the left is just a knackered one from a previous rebuild

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online