My Yamaha DT175mx does not move like it use to

NEEOOW
This post is 3854 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having last successfully run my DT back in August, I went to have another shot on it today. I changed the oil a few weeks ago but never got the bike running. Today I discovered certain young family members had robbed bolts and clutch levers etc, which I replaced today with ease. I also replaced the front sprocket.

Unfortunately, after the bike started and idled it did not move when I selected 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear etc. I thought maybe it was the clutch adjustment but that was sorted and working fine. I noticed heavy oil deposits at the exhaust though and also at the cylinder block. I do hope its not leaked into the clutch or I have something broken in the gearbox.

Perhaps I'm staring the answer in the face but just cant see it! It doesn't seem to be slipping or crunching when I select a gear, nor does it jerk when I select a gear. Its not locking out like it should, when I select a gear when the engine is not running either.

Think I next need to take the engine out and do a deep bench strip to diagnose the problem.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

it was a little loose on the shaft but I replaced it with a new unworn one and made sure it was tight. I even tried to swap the gear lever, thinking that was the fault with it fouling on the frame but it wasn't.

I don't think I'm getting any free play at the moment. So that's probably all it is, the clutch being partially selected already and removing any means of drive from the bike! D'oh!!!!

Ok after reading this 2x the only thing it could be is the clutch adjustment,or the front sprocket that you replaced.

No way evey gear is going to go at the same time,as the bike is a kick start and it runs then the crank drive and clutch driven gears must be connected so that only leaves the clutch to transfer the power to the tranny.

What happend to the clutch lever did the young ones take the bike out and crash it and remove it so you didn't notice it being bent or most likely they burnt the clutch out .

Try bump starting the bike or just putting it in gear and pushing the bike in 1st gear if it has no resistance then the clutch is slipping/burnt out,as for oil in the clutch it's a wet clutch so you can cancel that out.

And if your clutch is burnt out then some slaps to the head are in order to who ever was riding your bike without your permission and didn't tell you that they faked it up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online